Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

9 frames in an 8 frame box

967 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mgburton 
#1 ·
This is my third season and I'm experimenting with some different techniques in some of my hives; foundationless, splits + letting them raise their own queen, etc. I need to add a brood chamber to one of my hives, and I'm interested in using 9 frames in a 8 frame box like some have suggested. Do I just shave off enough from a frame or two to fit the ninth in, or do I need to shave them all down so there is some extra space? If so, how much on each frame, and how much extra space should I leave in the hive? I don't have a planer, so I was thinking about using a sander with 40 grit, or using my hive tool. It doesn't seem like I would need to remove much. I'm running boxes from Miller.

Also, the box below has eight frames. I don't think this will be a problem since there is space between the tops and bottoms of frames between boxes, but wanted to double check before I proceed. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
If your frames have the typical, 1-3/8" wide, End Bars, you will need to shave/trim 1/16" from both edges of all End Bars, finished frames will have End Bars that are 1-1/4" wide, and the reduction will be evenly distributed throughout all the frames.

If your frames End Bars are some other initial width, you would need to make the reduction, accordingly, so the final result is 1-1/4" wide End Bars, so the Top Bars and Bottom Bars are still fastened in the center of the resulting narrower End Bars - for proper spacing.

#5 ·
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm

>Do I just shave off enough from a frame or two to fit the ninth in, or do I need to shave them all down so there is some extra space?

All of them.

> If so, how much on each frame

1/8" off each frame (1/16" off each side of each end bar)

> and how much extra space should I leave in the hive?

Whatever is left.

> I don't have a planer, so I was thinking about using a sander with 40 grit, or using my hive tool.

You need the plane or a table saw. 40 grit is way too much work unless you have a power sander...

> It doesn't seem like I would need to remove much.

1/16" from each side of each bar isn't much, but enough that sanding is a lot of work...

>I'm running boxes from Miller.

They are 13 3/4" outside, 12 1/4" inside... but it doesn't really matter that much. The natural spacing on the frames is 1 1/4". If all you care about is getting one more frame in, you might get by with taking a little less off, but you need some extra space to work with to get things out...

>Also, the box below has eight frames. I don't think this will be a problem since there is space between the tops and bottoms of frames between boxes, but wanted to double check before I proceed. Thanks in advance!

If we are talking about supers and brood boxes, it's better to have 9 in the brood box. It's better to have 7 in the supers (once it's drawn comb) so the comb will be thicker and easier to uncap...

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was thinking it was all about having an extra frame for extra brood rearing.....sounds like it's more to it than that.

For a planer, are you using a power planer or a hand planer? I've got a power planer around here somewhere, but we've moved a couple of times and it's "unavailable".....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.