Default Fill me in on how to place a Swarm trap!

Ok I am a New Bee Keeper. So I though for insurance. I would place a swarm trap out incase something happens to my hives this year....

So I ordered a Swarm trap with some queen pheromone from Brushy Mountain....

Where should I locate the trap at? How far from my hives etc? In the pines in the oak trees or in the openwhere? How high off the ground.....
    I hear from local beeks now is the time to try and catch a swarm.... A local guy said A swarm in or before june is worth a silver spoon.... A swarm in July isn't worth a fly!!!

How do I keep this thing from falling apart? am I supposed to screw the body to the lid??? I didn't see any directions on anything but the lure..

Default Re: Fill me in on how to place a Swarm trap!

Not to be short, but start by reading through the Swarm thread on this site(a few threads below the Beekeeping 101 thread). I am starting out as well and found a lot of your questions are on the thread already. My advice.....buy or BUILD 10 more traps, it increases your chances. juzzer

10 feet high, 2-4 sq inch entrance,
    At least a full deep, Dark comb, old box, trap needs to be dark colored, placed in the shade. 1/4 mile is a good distance. Maybe further if you have a lot pf hives in one spot. All of these things help but are not necessary.

One to two metres of the ground tends to do the trick but I would recommend making it easy for yourself to recover. Bees "will" swarm into nearly anything if there is nothing else around. All the tricks increase the chances that they will choose your box. Guide is as follows:
    Box 20 - 40L: I would recommend you having the frames/top bars you want to use in this box. That way when it comes to transferring them to their hive they have all the comb they built and potentially the brood and stores they made whilst in the trap.
    Smelling like a hive: If it has never had bees in it rub around the inside of the box with beeswax.
    Containing come old brood comb: This seems to make a real difference to whether the bees like it or not. In the research I have read more than LGO or Queen pheromone.
    "Some" LGO: Don't go crazy on the lemon grass oil too much will put them off. If you put in on a cotton wool ball inside a plastic ziplock bag with the tiniest of openings this reduces the speed of evaporation.
    Distance from hive: I think the average distance moved by Prime swarm is as much as 800yds. It appears as though prime swarms like to go further and are much pickier then cast swarms. Most people use the furthermost reaches on their apiary. They will favour areas with natural resources ie water supply, propolys supply, nectar supply.
    Entrance: no preference noted in research for the shape of the hole, but small and defensible seems preferable 7/8 - 1 inch diameter has worked for me.
    location: They will favour areas with natural resources ie water supply, propolys supply, nectar supply. In the UK it is best to have the trap with entrance south facing exposed to as much sun as possible and sheltered from wind. I believe in hotter climates people use shade and have the entrance east facing to encourage foraging earlier before the sun is too hot.
    height: like I said 1 to 2 metres. The research shows no great preference beyond this though I am sure people will have personal experiences that argue with it.

Put out a few in and around you area if you can. The worst that can happen is you catch someone elses bees. Best of Luck!

Any old box at any height without too big of an entrance and four drops of lemongrass essential oil works fine... the rest helps a little, but not all that much...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

i made my entrances 1". is that too small?

1" will probably do fine. A lot of mine have been that size. Some 1/4" hardware cloth will keep the finches out...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Some 1/4" hardware cloth will keep the finches out...
    It probably makes no difference, but should the hardware cloth be stapled over the entrance on the outside or inside of the swarm trap? Thanks, juzzer

It's easier to put on the outside... but it doesn't matter. It's just to keep the birds out...

So where can you find LGO in a pinch?????
    Can I go to the local GNC and get it?
    There are NO I repeat NO Bee Supply companys near me.

Quote Originally Posted by labradorfarms View Post
    So where can you find LGO in a pinch?????
    Can I go to the local GNC and get it?
    There are NO I repeat NO Bee Supply companys near me.
    A natural foods store may have some.

>So where can you find LGO in a pinch?????

You can buy it online at Amzaon or hundreds of places direct. Anyplace that sells EO will usually have it. Those places that cell patchouli or ambergrist or musk usually have lemongrass oil as well. I have seen places that have nothing but EOs. I've also seen "head shops" that have them. Typically a place that sells Frank Zappa posters will have them...

In a pinch I am guessing that honey-b-healthy or something similar has enough LGO in it to work.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock