Includes links to:

Honey Bee Survey 2014 - closes May 6, results will be posted on the website

Information about the 2 scheduled Train the Trainer workshops for 2014

Videos on installing package bees by Jim Tew

Ohio State University WEBINAR series

Info on capturing swarms, & removing from structures

You Tube videos from last Fall's UK Conference, includes Mike Palmer

and more!
    NY Bee Wellness - recognizing and diagnosing honeybee disease is important to maintaining healthy bee hives

Default Re: Spring 2014 Newsletter NY Bee Wellness

Nice work.
    I wonder though about one of your pros on the nuc handout. You say "You donít have to immediately re -hive a nuc unless it is very robust and at risk of swarming." I haven't sold a nuc yet that did not need to be put in full size equipment within a number of days.
    I also found the comments overwhelming pro package. I guess you have all have had some bad experiences with nucs. Here in the great No VA area we have been riding a a giant wave of folks over the years increasingly able to make and sell nucs for new beekeepers and existing beekeepers, we have a few citizen science projects from this area, and others from the NE and the West that show nuc survivial is better than packaged bees overall, and most importantly- lots of empowered beekeepers who know how to make a nuc or two from their own bees! I hope that can be your situation too!
    karla

Default Re: Spring 2014 Newsletter NY Bee Wellness

Thank you!

Yes, there can be great variability with purchased nucs and packages from different suppliers, sometimes good, sometimes marginal or not so good.

The goal is to have local beekeepers comfortable and proficient in making nucs and raising queens, locally- perhaps as well as other regions that have had success.

-Pat
    NY Bee Wellness - recognizing and diagnosing honeybee disease is important to maintaining healthy bee hives