Default New package / queen location

I build this hive this past year and
    I'm getting ready to install my first package.
    I am concerned about hanging the queen from the top bar, I don't want messed up comb.

I'm new, first time. I have heard of setting the queen cage on the bottom but I guess she can get cold?

My thoughts, I have made a stick 1/4" x 1/4"that will span across the inside of the hive about three to four inches from the top, if I hang the queen from here she will still be off the bottom so they can surround her and keep her warm. Sounds like she will be released in about four days,I can reach in remove the stick, the queen cage and any comb attach to it. I'm thinking they won't connect comb down that far in four days?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

Have a blessed week

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New package / queen location

This guy, Michael Bush knows a lot about bees. Read through this article on his website Click Link
    Here's a part of his advice:

"Don't hang the queen between the frames

This almost always results in an extra comb between those two frames drawn on the queen cage. Release the queen and you won't have to worry about the messed up combs. This is even more important in a foundationless scenario such as a top bar hive or foundationless frames as one messed up between the frames comb will result in a repeat of the error the rest of the way across. Dump the bees in. Let them settle a bit. If you're afraid of the queen flying, then pull the cork from the non candy end (where she can get out now) and, while holding your thumb over the hole, lay the cage on the bottom and leave it. Put the frames back in and the lid on and walk away.

One of the issues seems to be that people think that either they will abscond or they will kill the queen. In my experience leaving her caged does not seem to resolve these issues. If they want to leave they usually move to the hive next door anyway and abandon the queen. If you release the queen it also won't stop this from happening, but it also won't cause it. I've not had a problem with a package killing the queen. A bunch of confused bees have been shaken together from many hives and in the confusion they are just happy to find a queen. If they do kill the queen it is almost always because there is already one loose in the package that got shaken in. The bees prefer this queen because they have contact with her."

Read through the rest of the site as well, lots of good info there...

Oh and I must say that is one spiffy looking hive you made!

Thank you

When I pulled my queen cage out she was covered with bees. As soon as I brushed them off they got right back on the cage. I am confident I could have just released her. I am sure you have probably seen this picture, but this is after about 23 hours:

IMG_0030.JPG

I don't have much experience, but I hanged my queen cage for a full four days with not a lick of comb on or seemingly affected by it. The Dr. Magnum guy on YouTube hanged his and three days later you can see the exact outline of his queencage by bees that built comb around but did not attach it to the cage at all. It looked like they went out of their way NOT to attach. While hanging the cage may not be ideal, I'm not sure that it's the raging demon it seems to be made out to be at times.

I don't have the confidence to do the direct release just yet. Based solely on how well things have "worked out" for me in the other areas in my life, I just don't see the reason to risk a hundred dollar bill flying away or crushed by an stick a squirrel dropped while I was hiving my bees.

>I just don't see the reason to risk a hundred dollar bill flying away or crushed by an stick a squirrel dropped while I was hiving my bees.

I think you'd would find people who would risk a hundred dollar bill to not have their entire hive full of comb in a mess... or even pay it outright to fix the problem...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF