Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First Inspection -- holy crosscombing, Batman!

I agree with Michael. The first time I tried the hair clip method on soft comb it went right through it. Plus trying to get them to stay on the bar with zip ties suck. Hair clips are the Macgyver method. If I gave you a box with assorted items to attach the comb you may come up with that. Plus hair clips are not that cheap. Hardware cloth can be attached to the bars ahead of time and gives you attachment points along the top of the comb. A frame is probably the best method, but a pain to make.

I guess by a frame you mean a, umm, frame but shaped like the TBH hive? Gee, two years of reading, and you'd think that I'd at least have a picture in my head of everything! So, I pulled three bars out of the unused section when I checked on them Thursday. Bees still building comb -- funny, b/c it looks so lovely and parallel from the window! -- and still seem no more than mildly interested in my presence. I am going to try the hardware cloth method -- it'll either work, or not, and I'll post what the end result is. We have storms and rain at the moment, but it's clearing tomorrow, and Sunday is warm with low humidity (for us), so that is the day I will try this.

Someone I met at UF's Bee College has a TBH that a friend left her -- she says it's full of wonderful bees with a very fine queen. I'm not sure how far away she lives, but I'll call tomorrow and see if adding a second hive feels right. I know the recommendation is to start with two, but I'll have to see if it's affordable (apparently, the hive itself is a work of art!). The person selling it has LHs, and apparently has decided she doesn't want to learn TBH mgt.
    1 TBH, started 4/09/14

>I guess by a frame you mean a, umm, frame but shaped like the TBH hive?

Yes. The size and shape of the TBH - 3/8" for bee space around it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF