Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lessons learned as a newbie

Birds hang out in an around my apiary and outyards all the time ,doesn't seem to deplete the populations any.I don't worry about it cause they eat other insects also.I don't know much about roadrunners,but if it causes you some concern shotgun will give you satisfaction but no remedy.A friend of mine has bees also(go figure) he fancies aluminum pie plates tied to a stake.Seems to make him feel better.Honeybees have a lot of predators.Hornets,wasp and skunks are my number one enemies.I've had wasp and hornets kill queens in the past(wasp got one 3 weeks ago)Hive height or a top entrance makes the skunks the easiest.I don't know if roadrunners fly or not?hmmm hive height or top entrance might work.Let me know I'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Birds hang out in an around my apiary and outyards all the time ,doesn't seem to deplete the populations any.I don't worry about it cause they eat other insects also.I don't know much about roadrunners,but if it causes you some concern shotgun will give you satisfaction but no remedy.A friend of mine has bees also(go figure) he fancies aluminum pie plates tied to a stake.Seems to make him feel better.Honeybees have a lot of predators.Hornets,wasp and skunks are my number one enemies.I've had wasp and hornets kill queens in the past(wasp got one 3 weeks ago)Hive height or a top entrance makes the skunks the easiest.I don't know if roadrunners fly or not?hmmm hive height or top entrance might work.Let me know I'm curious
    I have them on two cider blocks with the wood hive stand .
    And the roadrunners can fly short Distance .
    I only had them one brick hight because that was all the bricks I had but I picked up enought for two this morning . So the bees where right at the runners height to just set there and eat .

I just done the two at my other location like this but ran out of wire . It's three foot wire . I'm just a little worried about a Possible bear or wild hogs .

Last edited by 78-79fordman; 04-29-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Went ahead and ran to town and got some more wire and a few more t post . And done the other three .

I've had them drift pretty far before. Distance might make a small difference, but only a small one. Installing just before dark makes a lot of difference in slowing down drifting. Installing when it's raining is even better...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I've had them drift pretty far before. Distance might make a small difference, but only a small one. Installing just before dark makes a lot of difference in slowing down drifting. Installing when it's raining is even better...
    Ya the second time here they didn't get released tell pretty much right before dark like 30 mins . Want know tell a few days because its cool and don't want to really bother them . But just watching the bees that was working today was a lot better sight then with just a few bees in each Like i had . They all looked almost like my super dupper hive working wise . So maybe fingers crossed I have them right now .

Sounds like they're setting up house.You're good to go

Ok the things I have learned .

Screened bottom boards and packages causes problems . Slid in board must be in.
    Package hive Closeness no closer than 20 feet because of drift .
    Plastic foundation I believe really needs waxed more even if bought waxed . Package can really not like them . Wax foundation maybe better switched to wax to see .

And after watching even after pretty much Established I still don't like the slid in screened bottom boards . I'm building some freeman ones with there trays so they fit super tight . To keep bees out from under the screen and to hope keep the Odors in and mites and beetles in check . If I don't like that I'm going solid board . And given the screen bottoms away .

Everything seems pretty much good though .

And sugar ants are try to take my brick stand hives .not building nest just a few running around . Put out Cinnamon and it seemed to work Instantly . So I have to build some metal single hive stands to hold one hive with ant blockers
    Nothing ventured nothing gained . Sometimes the only way to learn is do .
    20 Hives and 2 Experiments = 22

Your bee yard is fantastic.

Ok Cinnamon does not work for these ants . What kind are they ?

You need a moat..... those are the famous .......... Arkansas Step on me ant. You do have a nice set up there.
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

Quote Originally Posted by 78-79fordman View Post
    Ok Cinnamon does not work for these ants . What kind are they ?
    They appear to be what we called honeypot ants. They can store a sweet honey in their abdomen and hang on the roof of their nests and feed it to worker ants. Thought they produced their own fluid that is sweet. Don't know much more than that.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 3 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by Beeonefarms View Post
    You need a moat..... those are the famous .......... Arkansas Step on me ant. You do have a nice set up there.
    Ya need to make some single hive metal stands like my big ones with the grease cups . They should keep them out . Doing that tomorrow or the next day weather pending.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    They appear to be what we called honeypot ants. They can store a sweet honey in their abdomen and hang on the roof of their nests and feed it to worker ants. Thought they produced their own fluid that is sweet. Don't know much more than that.
    They do squish and have a lot of liquid come out the big back end . And it's sticky like suger water .

Twist the back end off it's edible. Tastes like honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Twist the back end off it's edible. Tastes like honey.
    Probley little bastards . Think they would sell as a novelty honey item?

Get'n my Permanent second hive location set up . Set'n it up on a old chicken house pad . Just hope there's no lesson to learn at this placement . Have a 40'x300' pad so plenty room to grow it . It's also where my 20 acre peach orchard is . Having to fence it to keep my 3 pigs and a mini mule from mess'n with them . Hope the bees leave them alone . I know they don't bother my cows at my first Permanent yard .

Going to move some of the bees on it tomorrow . Hope the nucs hurry up and get ready . Got it 100% setup

Can never have enough hives or hive body's and frames ready . Here's some hives we built and painted this weekend .

Just because you think your a bad ass light the smoker !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 78-79fordman View Post
    Just because you think your a bad ass light the smoker !!!!!
    That's funny right there... I had the exact same drifting problem. No one could tell me why. I had 2 packages, and 1 lost 70% of the bees to the other. Glad I came across this thread. So which is the "right" answer (or best)? Close in the screen so queen pheremone can permeate, block the bees in for 1-3 days (how long?) so bees get used to their queen, or spread them out? Seems to me that reducing the screen area (or closing it) and blocking them in for a day would be best. I remember hearing about closing them in the hive but didnt do it because they had been in the package for 6 days already and I wasnt sure how long they could survive without being able to be free (dumb I know).