Thread: Ccd?

Default Ccd?

image.jpg
    I had a very weak hive that I requeened and stuck in a nuc box 3 weeks ago. She was quickly accepted and was laying eggs within days. All seemed well until I went to check on them last night. They were all gone. Maybe twenty left & no queen. They abandoned their brood and I have no idea why they absconded.

Default Re: Ccd?

Maybe short on feed?

I was not feeding but spring is already full swing in GA. They had some capped honey as well. I went to take a closer look this AM and noticed a handful of dead bees on the bottom board that were ripped in half. Would they swarm if they were invaded? By hornets, wasps, carpenter bees? IDK, just speculating.
    image.jpg

I've seen bees starve with no feed, but I have never seen them abscond because of it. Yes they sometimes leave if they are harassed too much by pests.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta_buckeye View Post
    I was not feeding but spring is already full swing in GA. They had some capped honey as well. I went to take a closer look this AM and noticed a handful of dead bees on the bottom board that were ripped in half. Would they swarm if they were invaded? By hornets, wasps, carpenter bees? IDK, just speculating.
    image.jpg
    I have a hive that had a bunch of bees on the bottom screen ripped in half like that. No idea how or what or why. They didn't abscond, thankfully.
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    I have a hive that had a bunch of bees on the bottom screen ripped in half like that. No idea how or what or why. They didn't abscond, thankfully.
    Shrews dismember bee corpses like that, leaving shells.