Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
    Posts
    14

    Default First swarm, advice on moving location

    I retrieved my first swarm on Easter Sunday. It went well and brushed the swarm directly into a 5 frame nuc with one frame of old brood comb and 4 new frames of foundation. I got the nuc to my house when it started to pour rain. I opened the entrance and the following day they oriented and have been flying in and out of the hive. Unfortunately, I cannot keep them in my backyard due to city ordinance. I have a location for them, but am not sure how to best move them and transfer them into a 10 frame box. It's only been 2 days. Do I treat like hiving a nuc? Is smoke ok? I need to move at night to make sure all the bees are in, so do I go ahead with the transfer to 10 frame box tonight as well or just set up the nuc tonight and rehive tomorrow during the day? New location is more than 2 miles away, so I don't think I need to worry about orientation issues, right? Thanks for any help, and let me know if I missed anything.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,127

    Default Re: First swarm, advice on moving location

    If you can wait til they have brood to do the transfer and move that would be my choice. I would move the nuc to the new location, then a few days later move them into the bigger box. Smoke is appropriate.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: First swarm, advice on moving location

    How long should I wait before looking for brood? I don't want to screw anything up with this hive. I started last year with one hive and lost it over winter. I want to give these girls the best chances and dont want to open up too much if it puts them at greater risk of absconding or something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,127

    Default Re: First swarm, advice on moving location

    Since you gave them comb, they might have brood already. But if you can wait a week without 'City' issues before digging into the nuc, that would probably be better.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads