Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Over Winter Success in Maine!!! and now some questions

I not only don't see more condensation in mediums, but I can't come up with a single theory WHY you would have more condensation in mediums. My guess is there is something else the hives with condensation problems have in common.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

maybe a picture would help. typical winter set up, hive faces SE, open field to the front, hedgerow to the rear (NW), 1" insulation under telescoping cover, top entrance, mouse guard.
    1453222_10151876884966088_805147202_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    maybe a picture would help. typical winter set up, hive faces SE, open field to the front, hedgerow to the rear (NW), 1" insulation under telescoping cover, top entrance, mouse guard.
    1453222_10151876884966088_805147202_n.jpg
    Put a pencil( or anything about 1/5 inch thick) between the rear end of bottom and the first box.
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

thanks, but why?

Julhani, I am sure you have posted before; do you have a photo? What type of temps, how close to water?

You rely on open bottom for vent, no top vent, correct?
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    but I can't come up with a single theory WHY you would have more condensation in mediums.
    Post #16 is not working for you"

"MB may use a larger top vent to compensate for less draft.
    Taller chimney in a deep has more draw.
    Medium gap acts as a as barometric damper.
    Something in 8 frame draw works better than 10 frame.
    I am sure there are more possibilities."

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Julhani, I am sure you have posted before; do you have a photo? What type of temps, how close to water?

You rely on open bottom for vent, no top vent, correct?
    Max draft under the cluster, entrance open both ways (2 mousegards too, major setback, more work), 250km to sea(50 000 lakes inland...), 6 months winter (= no flying)

Roof: 2 inches of polyurethan plus a sheet of gardenhouse (UV protection!) plastic under it. Airtight and excellent insulation.

I dont have a photo but many beekeepers in Finland use this pencil way to make sure air is really circulating.
    Last edited by Juhani Lunden; 04-26-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

Juhani, Could you provide a little more information on the side insulation?
    I can picture a circular internal air circulation. At the correct temps and humidity condensation should occur on the sides. Cooling air on the sides should create a downdraft on the sides.
    Is this configuration commonly used on the coast as well?

This winter the top vents did act as a moisture collector, not exhaust. I had not seen this in other years.(or had not noticed) The mountain camp sugar which had been dry, became saturated, almost liquid, as the snow fog blew through the hives. It was an extreme temp swing with gulf air blowing on shore. I did not open enough to check bees at that time.

Juhani, Could you provide a little more information on the side insulation?
    18mm (3/4 inch) plywood (or wood) boxes, so the walls are allways colder than roof

Tarpaper around to protect from wind, but the paper does not cover the entrances.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/page10.html

http://www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/

Thank you, I'll look at those.

Also wandering around on your other pages. Always better to take a look from another's viewpoint.
    Last edited by Saltybee; 04-26-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add line 2.

fog blew through the hives. It was an extreme temp swing with gulf air blowing on shore. I did not open enough to check bees at that time.
    Salty, these types of fog events seem to be where the moisture issue accelerates and does not correct until the wind comes from the continental north. I vent with maritime air and scramble to reduce with dry cold continental air, numerous times a winter. Throw a Nor'easter in and it's an impossible task with the mediums. Deeps seem to handle the fluctuations better and don't get as waterlogged.

I will certainly give thought to venting from the bottom although I'm not sold on it yet.

Thank you Salty and Juhani and Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    I will certainly give thought to venting from the bottom although I'm not sold on it yet.
    I only wanted to add that I had the usual structure (of top ventilation) for the first 13 years. Since I changed it, I have never had mold in frames after winter. Mold is a sign of ventilation problems.

Cold is only good for the bees in winter. It keeps them steady and calm. Spring is a different story,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12