Default New package - Direct Released the Queen

I got a new package of bees on Monday (they had been shook out about 3 days prior). Put them in my TBH that died out this winter. 6 or 7 empty brood combs in there.

Package was a very full 3# package of what looked like blonde Italians with a Carniolan Queen.

I dealt with crooked comb last year from hanging the queen cage, so this time I decided to try a direct release. I dumped the package in, and then closed the hive up except for one bar that i left a gap in. I uncorked the queen while keeping my finger over the hole, and then slid the cage in the gap.

She walked (more like ran) out of the cage into the hive. So I am hoping I made a successful introduction of my queen to this hive, but only time will tell!
    Technology is great.....when it works.

Default Re: New package - Direct Released the Queen

Yeah that is what I did on Monday but I hung mine first and they didn't release. Hope your queen stays and all is good! Keep us posted.

I've installed 6 packages in top bar hives, 5 like you did and 1 where I hung the queen cage. I got 5 hives with nice straight combs and 1 with a cross comb mess. Can you guess which way the one with the cross comb mess was done?

I'm getting ready to install a package.
    I am concerned about hanging the queen from the top bar, I don't want messed up comb.

I'm new, first time. I have heard of setting the queen cage on the bottom but I guess she can get cold?

My thoughts, I have made a stick 1/4" x 1/4"that will span across the inside of the hive about three to four inches from the top, if I hang the queen from here she will still be off the bottom so they can surround her and keep her warm. Sounds like she will be released in about four days,I can reach in remove the stick, the queen cage and any comb attach to it. I'm thinking they won't connect comb down that far in four days?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

Have a blessed week

Eric

I've had good luck placing the queen cage on the bottom of TBH but not so good luck when hanging the cage on top bar.

Quote Originally Posted by enrique View Post
    I've had good luck placing the queen cage on the bottom of TBH but not so good luck when hanging the cage on top bar.
    Queen cages on the floorboard in Wisconsin during a package installation in April?

What a wise move......

NOT.

How many ways can you say DEAD Queen in the offing?

Your queen supplier is going to love this one!!!! $25 please....

>I've had good luck placing the queen cage on the bottom of TBH but not so good luck when hanging the cage on top bar.

It's always risky leaving a queen cage on the bottom especially when cold is a possibility. Maybe in Bisbee, AZ...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF