Thread: Wasps!!!

Default Wasps!!!

I'm getting packages this week so last night I went to check the new top bar hives ---just a double check to make sure everything was in order. In the very first hive I checked there were 20-40 wasps. I'm fearless in a bee suit so after taking care of them I proceeded to check all of the empty hives and nucs and found them in all but two. They were even on top of the top bars on the hives with bees. I must have killed 800 wasps but didn't find one wasp nest. I'll be at it again tonight as it cools off. My question is this---with no wasp nests, and therefore I presume no young wasps, can these be all queens? If so what happened? I've never seen so many wasps!!! Are the bees in danger? Am I doing the right thing killing them? I'm affraid that the new packages could abscond with pressure from wasps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Default Re: Wasps!!!

My bet is there is a wasp nest in there and you didn't find it. Under? Hiding? I don't know, but 800 wasps live somewhere...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I hear you. I couldn't believe it either. I opened every empty box they were in--removed all the top bars and nothing. It was getting late and chilly so they moved slow but none of them were even trying to sting me. They only tried to escape and I'd guess around thirty of them did. I would have thought they would return to their nest toward evening. My wife said she opened the door to her garden shed and had around fifty laying on top of the door. Once again we saw no nests. I didn't have a big wasp problem last fall so I haven't a clue where they all came from. Really wierd---I put out some traps but I'm killing all that I see. I thought they might be using some of the empty honeycomb I put in a fer of the hives that I'll put the packages in but I don't see anything in them and they weren't even on them. They were laying in the bottoms of the nucs and hives. It's been cold here and we just got a few days above 70 degrees. The fruit trees are getting ready to bloom. I don't have an answer for it but I hope it's not a sign of a bigger problem coming.

Wasps eat a lot of bugs. As long as they are somewhere they aren't bothering me, I leave them alone...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had a wasp starting to build in my hive. He had one little piece of comb built off my first top bar (I guess that is a good sign) so I brought the bees home and set them in the package in the hive but 2 wasps kept coming back. I finally killed one and the other one left. Hopefully now that the bees are buzzing about there wont be any more issues.

I've been watching them fly around and they don't make it into the occupied hives. When I was killing the ones on top of the top bars a couple bars flipped and a few fell inside. The bees let them know they weren't welcome.