Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first successful install

I picked up our bees from the post office today. there were a good amount of dead/drowned bees in there. I was a bit worried. The install could not have gone smoother. I ended up just dumping them in. I hung around for several hours and I checked on them through the window multiple times and I think they are doing good. As soon as it started getting dark about 3 hours after install they all seemed to be coming home, at least they were only going in and none were coming out. I hung the queen between bar 2 and 3. I am not sure when I should try to pull her cage out. They formed up pretty tight around her.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Default Re: first successful install

Such fun and anticipation...like kids they mostly manage despite us. What are the white things acting as bee rafts in the syrup?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

They are little plastic beads.

I'm jealous of your window. I wish I had had time to build a window into my hives. I guess there's always next time.

Everything looks good for your new hive. Enjoy.

I would get cage out ASAP. They will build comb around it and booger it up.

Alright, I will pull it tonight when I get home.

Alright I went straight home and opened up the hive and pulled the queen cage out. At first I saw the candy still in there and got worried but they had eaten a tunnel through so the queen was gone. They had built a decent amount of comb on it in less than 24 hours after install so I am super glad I did not wait for 3 or 4 days like some people have. I would have had a huge mess on my hands. I dropped the cage towards the back of the bee area next to the follower board. This morning it was cool and no one was left on it so I snuck in the back way and grabbed it. Here are my pictures from last night.

IMG_0023.jpg

They were also starting to festoon(?) around the sugar syrup so I pulled the sled back a bit and got it out of reach. I may move that to the other side of the follower board tomorrow. They have taken about an inch out of my quart jar. I am not sure they really even need it.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Weird, I just left a queen cage hanging for four days and they didn't build a single speck of comb on/near it. They had built comb on the bar next to it down even with it, but zero attachment.

My queen cage last year was wood and looked like yours after just 2 days. This year's cage was plastic and they didn't build on it just stared work on the 2 bars before it. Made me wonder if they don't like plastic(couldn't blame them).

I should have listened to Mike Bush on hanging the queen cage! Left mine in for a few days a couple of seasons ago, and what a mess!
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

good idea on the feeder

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    I should have listened to Mike Bush on hanging the queen cage! Left mine in for a few days a couple of seasons ago, and what a mess!
    I also should have listened. My thinking was is I hang the queen I risk messed up comb. If I direct release I risk loosing a queen. The risk of messed up comb looked better than dealing with no queen. I should have known it was good though. When I took the cage out of the package it was completely surrounded by bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackotter View Post
    good idea on the feeder
    Thanks. Here is another shot of the sled. It has a cotton string attached so I can move it a bit if the bees get too "attached" to it. The string goes under the follower board so there is minimal disturbance when I do it. I put a chamfer on the bottom edge so it will slide easy.

IMG_20140416_101014.jpg

After seeing the bit of comb that the bees made Tuesday I expected to see even more progress on Wednesday. When I went to check, around 5pm almost all the bees were still in the hive. There were a few coming and going and they were are clustered in the same place that they were that morning. The temperature was in the mid 70's and it was a bit breezy. There was no visible progress. Shouldn't they be super busy on a day like that? They have gone through another inch of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    After seeing the bit of comb that the bees made Tuesday I expected to see even more progress on Wednesday. When I went to check, around 5pm almost all the bees were still in the hive. There were a few coming and going and they were are clustered in the same place that they were that morning. The temperature was in the mid 70's and it was a bit breezy. There was no visible progress. Shouldn't they be super busy on a day like that? They have gone through another inch of syrup.
    I haven't checked for a couple of days, but I have not been able to see any progress through my window at all. Other than the cluster looking a bit closer to the window then before. It's amazing how well the comb is hidden under a pile of bees. Have you seen any eggs yet or pulled frames out at all? Have they been bringing in pollen?

Our bees have been flying pretty well until 6-6:30 in the evening bringing in pollen. And that's on days with highs of 55-60 and pretty good wind (seems to have been 15-25 mph almost every day). On the day it was 80 and relatively calm there was a constant stream of bees leaving on a line and coming back with baskets of pollen. They've been doing this since the day after we installed their queen. Prior to that it didn't matter if it was 75 and sunny... they were just an unmoving cluster in the hive.

I have not lifted any bars for 36 hours. I watched them for a few minutes yesterday and I didn't not notice any pollen coming in. Mine seemed an awful lot like an unmoving cluster yesterday.

I have not lifted any bars for 36 hours. I watched them for a few minutes yesterday and I didn't not notice any pollen coming in. Mine seemed an awful lot like an unmoving cluster yesterday.
    Take the following with a grain of salt...

If it is nice today where you are, my suggestion would be to watch for pollen coming in for more than a few minutes. I've noticed that I can watch for several minutes and it seems like all the bees coming in do not have pollen. Then suddenly every single bee will have baskets full, then back to empty for awhile. If you still don't see pollen I would open the hive and look at the combs they have built in search of eggs, this will also give you a much better idea of how much progress they have or haven't made since you last looked. It's still early on after the install, but I think you should expect to find comb, pollen, and some syrup/nectar in the comb. If you happen to see the queen when you're in there great, but I don't get hanged up on finding her. If they are still building comb they are probably OK. Looking back on the hive's behavior before getting them "queenright", they seemed sad/mopey. The cluster was tight, but the bees that weren't in the cluster were just kind of hanging out around the feeders and maybe sitting on the floor of the hive. After queen installed, comb was drawn RAPIDLY and pollen was being brought in the next morning about 12-14 hours after hanging the queen in her cage. The comb we saw Sunday had been at least tripled in size by Tuesday. I will look in the window tonight and I expect to see evidence of the first two combs fully drawn (they were very close to being so on Tuesday). I'd also expect the third comb they started to be nearly fully drawn and for them to have started a fourth and maybe a fifth. The amount of syrup they have been drinking has gone up probably fivefold literally overnight. Before queen, they were drinking maybe 5-6 ounces over the course of 2-3 days. They are taking 24+ ounces in a 48 hour period.

Of course this is coming from someone who had several people tell me I wasn't being patient enough with them when they'd been installed a week with no comb, no pollen coming in, and basically no flying (except to poop). You need to be patient, realistic with your expectations, but also have a bit of a sense of urgency with your package I think. If they were going like gangbusters and suddenly the brakes have been slammed on and you don't even see bees flying I would be concerned. Another thing that my brother and I noticed, is that the couple of times we opened them up before they had a queen. The bees wouldn't fly much, but as soon as the hive was cracked they would crawl up in decent number and start Nasonoving almost immediately. I don't know if that's in an attempt to "bring the queen home" or what, but it doesn't seem as evident now that they have a queen. I notice that later in the evening one bee will be there fanning her brains out at the entrance for a very long time, assuming to guide the last foragers in? But other than that, it seems like the bees in the hive are moving with purpose now and doing jobs vs. sitting.

I'm new with very little experience, but my dad and grandpa kept bees when I was growing up... so I know a little bit going into this and have an expectation of what a bee hive should look like on a given "good weather" day.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 04-24-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Alright, we had storms rolling through all day but there was about 10 minutes of dry right after work. There was about the same amount of action as yesterday. A steady stream of bees in and out but most of them were just clustered in the same space. They are taking about an inch of syrup a day. I will refill tomorrow. I did notice some pollen coming in. Bees were coming in about every 3 to 5 seconds and I would say pollen toting about 1 bee per minute. It is supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow. I think I will pull out some bars around noon and see what they are up to under the mass.

Hopefully they a drawing comb. You can't see it for some time, then all of the sudden it is there.

Alright, we had storms rolling through all day but there was about 10 minutes of dry right after work. There was about the same amount of action as yesterday. A steady stream of bees in and out but most of them were just clustered in the same space. They are taking about an inch of syrup a day. I will refill tomorrow. I did notice some pollen coming in. Bees were coming in about every 3 to 5 seconds and I would say pollen toting about 1 bee per minute. It is supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow. I think I will pull out some bars around noon and see what they are up to under the mass.
    Sounds promising. I'm excited to check our hive this afternoon and see how much comb they have now.

20 hours after the install. 47 degrees out. Expected to reach 56 today.
    They aren't using any sugar. My feeder is behind the follower so I heated it in a sink of hot water. I had 12-1 1/4" bars installed. I removed 5 and moved the follower up. They are clustered around the queen cage (I used marshmallow). Hopefully they won't be too pissed and abscond on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast