Here is a simple way that I have made increase using two story nucs.
In a 5 frame two story nuc hive, I make sure there is one frame of mostly eggs in the center of the bottom box, with a frame of mostly pollen on one side of it and a frame of mostly open nectar on the other side of it. The two outer frames, I like to have sealed and emerging brood, but one of those can be a frame of stores. Other frame arrangements can be made, depending on what you have in the nuc, but the one frame with a lot of eggs is needed for sure.
The rest of the frames and the queen go in the top box, with a queen excluder in between the two boxes. I set this up sometime in the mid to late afternoon. Then the next day in the mid morning, I set the top box off to the side of the bottom box, with it's entrance turned 180 degrees so it is facing the other direction.
Now the next day in the late afternoon, after 36 hours or close to it, I take and put the queens box back on top of the queenless box, with a queen excluder in between the two boxes. From being queenless for 36 hours, the bees get in queen cell building mode, and I find that a few queen cells of good quality will be built in the bottom box after being joined with excluder. The bees in the bottom box get most of the activity as the entrance is a lower entrance in the bottom box, and the queen is not there, she is pinned above the excluder, so her pheromones are not strong in the bottom box now. So I think they build cells as if replacing a failing queen.
Now in 9 days after joining the boxes, I move the bottom box to a new stand, and give the box left in place another box on top to expand up into, as they will now get the field force and they have the laying queen. Doing this makes the box moved away lose the field force and reduces the population, so that in one or two more days when the queen cells emerge, there is much less chance of them swarming. At the time of moving this box away to a new stand, I now have the option of cutting out queen cells for making other splits, if I so desire.
There are a few variations on this theme, but this is one way I've used to create just a few cells so that I can make a split with low probability of swarming happening. I call it an enhanced walk away split, as it gives nice well built queen cells with out grafting and not too much intense manipulations. Also, you can modify the timings in this so that it can easily be done on a weekend schedule by moving the bottom box to a new stand in 7 or 8 days later instead of the 9 days. Makes it very convenient for us weekend beekeepers!