Default cut out advice/set up

Was contacted by some folks looking to get a colony out of an oak tree. Bees are starting to gather on the front porch light, and such...now they figure the leaner is hollow and a threat to the roof.

The way this tree leans, I am not sure about ladders, etc. Their plan is to take the tree out once the bees are relocated. I'd guess it's 12'-14' up, I only have extension ladders for that height, no a-frame.

Thought about trying to nail something to the tree, but the angles are odd, and have thought about using ropes and getting fancy. Leaning at weird angles and swinging hammers or ropes isn't on the top of my list. Fees were not established, but the folks are strapped.

Anyone have a blinding flash of the obvious, that I've missed, to set up a trap out?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: cut out advice/set up

pics are straight on and at 90degree, btw, to the entrance bees are using

Plumbers tape my friend, you can fasten it any pitch you want.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4...9292/100344678
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

I'taken hives out of alot of trees.A trap out is labor intensive and at that height raises the labor end of it.If the tree is coming down anyway I'd screen of the entrances and bull rope it down, easier to trap out on the ground.Numerous ways of doing it.Don'worry about someone else doing it the height is a deterrent for most.If I was in the neighborhood I'd help you out.It really only takes me about 15 minutes to deal with one like that.More time gets spent over- thinking it.Remember safety third!Let us know how everything works out.I commend your ambition!

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    It really only takes me about 15 minutes to deal with one like that.More time gets spent over- thinking it.Remember safety third!Let us know how everything works out.I commend your ambition!
    15 Minutes? Maybe to saw the trunk. Surely you are not implying that you set up equipment and ropes to lower the trunk containing the bees, close off the entrance, Top it out without damaging the home owners house. cut and lower the hive section in 15 minutes? I have a boom truck and it would take me way more than that. I need someone like you working for me. But my workers comp would go up. Here safety is ALWAYS first

Fl_Beak You could try using a ladder stand that is used for deer hunting, they go up 15+ feet also gives you a platform to work from. You can adjust the height by removing ladder sections. I have used mine many times in situations such as this. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

I was just given a ladder stand to repaint and hunt with this fall, guess I gotta get a coat of rustoleum on it in a hurry.

Of course after it's topped out.Screened and bull roped in 15 minutes yes.Could be why all the tree services call me.After it's topped it's only one cut.Tree isn't that big if it takes you 15 minutes to cut the trunk sharpen your saw and reduce the drag.I've done this for 40 years I should be able to do it quickly or shouldn't be doing it.If you have taken hives out of trees before than you know the morass of bees that ensue afterwards for the safety of all involved and in the area it must be done quickly.Of course safety first.Safety third is my favorite saying.It comes from the TV show Rocket City Rednecks.Not one person has been stung on my watch.It would most surely be safer to work on it from the ground.Sometimes it does take a few minutes more for me to take down a bee tree but very rarely,but than there are numerous ways to do this.Trap it out where it is-dangerous and labor intensive,put the gum on the ground split it and run them out with smoke-dangerous that close to the house,take the gum to a safer site-that's what I do.I prefer to do this at the end of the day.I prefer all personell and heavy equipment out of the area-sometimes have to leave equipment where it sits,but I don't want it running.Idon't want the whole tree topped out just enough fo me to cut the gum.Ido not use a bucket truck for this.Bucket truck is for the tree topper not me.I prefer to spike up and cut with one ground man to run the ropes.Screen,spike up,cut,rope it down 15 minutes.The variable is height takes longer to spike up or if I have a saw that just doesn't want to co-operate.I'm getting old so I have my son in-law climb for me.I'm lucky he's the best in the business.A tree that size close to the house not a big deal if you know what you're doing.There has been times where I did have to smoke them out with sugar.They will swarm out and cluster near by.Dangerous to smoke them out if in a populated area.Typical of beekeeping many different ways,methods and beliefs, be open minded to them all