Default Top Bar Top Entrance is it too big?

So I built a TBH over the winter and I pick up my first package this afternoon! My wife and son have been helping prepare things and we are very excited. I created about a 4/8" gap with two screws that prevent the first top bar from covering the hive all the way creating a gap where bees can enter and exit here are some pics the first being the entrance:

IMG_0454_zps535225f1.jpg

The entrance end:
    IMG_0463_zpsfcc6d506.jpg

Here is the hive with the roof off. I cut a piece of trailer underpinning for the roof and there wasn't enough of a peak to let water drain off during a rain we had so I put these boards under it to help drain off the water which worked fine. I have 4 bricks on top of the under pinning where the wood pieces lay to keep it in place. By the way this isn't its permanent hive stand this was an early version now it is 2 cinderblocks high on each side and up on some 4 x 4 posts between them so higher up off the ground.

IMG_0455_zpsfef1fb72.jpg

My question is the entrance too long/big for a new package is it too much area for them to defend? I plan on putting a baggie feeder in with them and don't want to kick off robbing. I could take out one of the screws on one end and push it flush but that would obviously throw off all the other bars so not sure. Is this entrance the way Michael Bush does his its hard to tell from the pics on his site.

Thanks!

Adam Beal

Default Re: Top Bar Top Entrance is it too big?

Cut it down to about 1" opening. We accomplished this using a straight stick (dowel rod would work) or a small piece of plywood. I wouldn't leave the whole top open, you're asking for robbing with a new package.

Alright jw I will saw a reducer out of plywood when I get home. So the width is ok just make the length only about an inch long.

Duct tape also works quite well. Just be sure to stick another piece of tape to the sticky side so you don't get any bees stuck to the underside.

Thanks for the reply ruthiesbees. One more question on the package. I have made a follower board and put it in so it cuts the hive in half allowing about 18 bars for the package. Which bar would I dangle the queen cage from or does it matter? I was thinking about 3 or 4 bars back from the entrance but was just guessing.

That sounds like a good spot. My bees keep their brood patch on bars 3-10. The first 2 bars are partial comb and the ones in the back are honey. As much as I rearrange the bars (last summer), they never seemed to put anything in the first 2 bars of comb. Mine has a side entrance near the front of the box so it would be very similar to yours, except mine in a bottom entrance. My new hive this year will have a top entrance like you have, and my package arrives this Sat. Can't wait to compare the 2.

Sounds good Ruthie just liked your page on FB. My son and I are picking up the bees in 3 hours then will go get the hive ready and plan to put them in around 7 tonight.

If you cut a bar to fit the gap and then cut a notch in the bar, you can make the notch whatever size you like. Just make sure it's at least 1/4" wide and however long you want.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF