Default Is this an issue? Feeding hole blocked with cluster

I am a bit concerned and need some thoughts.
    Yesterday I installed a 3lb package, the seller said the queen would take maybe 3 hours to get out. I placed the queen cage at the front of the hive on the floor and dumped the rest on top. 2 hours later I looked in the window and they were all clustered in the BACK of the hive. I assumed the queen was out, and still do. I have a feeder on the other side of the follower board with the hole at the top of the follower board. There were a few in the feeder area. I was wondering then since they were at the top back, were they somewhat blocking the hole to the feeder, as the cluster was right over it. Today I took a look and they are tightly packed same location and now some are at the front bottom around the queen cage and the screened drain holes. I have my entrance at the top it is a long opening just before the first bar, like the Bush plans show. My question is since they are in the back vs front, should I be worried they are blocking the hole to the feeder? It looks packed tight. Should the follower board also have a hole lower? My gut is saying to pull the follower board and put a hole towards the bottom. or just pull the board as I have a false back also and just let the feeder be in the same area for now. On the other hand I am wondering if I should just leave them alone and not be a mother hen. Bottom line is, since the hole (1") is blocked with the cluster, will they starve?
    Jerry

Default Re: Is this an issue? Feeding hole blocked with cluster

To be honest, I'm not sure from your post I can envision what is going on, but my first thought is that since it's a new package, they may be REALLY hungry and are all trying to get to the syrup. I'd give them a day or two to sort themselves out.

I would not assume that the queen was out. I would check and if she isn't and is still alive you should release her.

I checked again and they are flying around in and outside the and cluster has moved again, and the hole is wide open. There are a few on the feeder side. This is where the newbee part kicks in, I always assumed I would see bees clinging to the bottom of the jars feeding. I see some feeding off the floor and also what looks like a long clear Crystalized string of sugar from one feeder hole... .

Matt, they are .. were.... clustered to the back in a tight beard and that was pushed up against the hole to the feeder side blocking it. None were trying to move in or out of it... At this point maybe its fine other than I thought I would see a feeding frenzy on the bottom of the jars..

I do now wish I had marked the syrup level so I could see the usage.