Default Hey Salty... Got another one. ;)

A few days ago we got a call on the bee line about a swarm that moved into a speaker box in a wrecked vehicle. They didn't want to pay but said we could take the whole box and they would just come get the speaker later.

So tonight it got pretty cold so after eating dinner with my buddy and some of my family that came in from SF my buddy asked if I was going get that box. We were going to a bonfire at his place and we weren't far from the call.

So I called and went pick it up. It was a folded horn type design and a bit mashed up, so I stuffed the opening with paper towels and loaded it up in my pax seat.

As I took a different route than I did coming in, I realized I was about a 1/4 mile from the location I grabbed that text book swarm from. They didn't swarm directly from that same hive but from a boat in his yard that he is just letting live... But I'm sure they are related in some way (besides just dca).

Parked the box about where he will set up the hive and opened them up.

Oh, and the guy decided he didn't want the speaker in the end anyway... Bonus!

Just thought you would enjoy that.

Default Re: Hey Salty... Got another one. ;)

You paint a pretty good picture, but an actual pic would be better! lol
    Good catch.

Why don't you just mount a trap on your roof. You could catch a swarm while you are driving home.

I'm looking at 2 inches of fresh snow while you can't beat off free bees, just keep coming at you don't they. Pays to hustle and make connections. Congrats.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Why don't you just mount a trap on your roof. You could catch a swarm while you are driving home.

I'm looking at 2 inches of fresh snow while you can't beat off free bees, just keep coming at you don't they. Pays to hustle and make connections. Congrats.
    Umm... The local snowball stand is now open, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    You paint a pretty good picture, but an actual pic would be better! lol
    Good catch.
    Hey, it was night, "old", and my phone was dying.

Really though I need to start taking more (any) photos of these things!

Had to dig this thread up again.

Just got another call and went out and picked up a small (seems to me) after swarm out of a small tree.

Only thing I didn't like was that they were clustered on the trunk again, so brushing them in and scooping them in was the only way to get them in the new home.

Pretty sure we got the queen as they settled down pretty well in the box, but I'm guessing she was a virgin since there wasn't a ton of stragglers making their way into the box on the ground. Just none were leaving.

I'm running out of room, I need to go prep my mother's yard so I can stash some hives there.

Hi Mom. I'm home. Happy Mother's Day, here is your present !
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Hi Mom. I'm home. Happy Mother's Day, here is your present !
    Exactly!

She has a spot in a corner of her yard. Shed to the left (with only a foot to the fence in the back) and then a fence on the right. Just have to keep the grass from growing so they don't have to mow back there, face them to the back fence and I'm gonna put up a little lattice stuff to keep looky lous from noticing them easily and poof, room for two more hives.