Default end of the day nuc transfer left some bees out

Hello all.

I am a new beek. This forum is fantastic, lots of great information.

I had a question about something I did last night, I am not sure if I did the right thing, or what I could have done better.

I did a trap out with a friend. The first nuc that filled up has been at my place for about a week. During that time, we replaced the nuc at the trapout site with a fresh nuc and a frame of brood. Last night I swapped out the nuc at the trapout site again with a fresh nuc and a new frame of brood.

I took the now full (second) nuc from the trapout site back to my house. It was nearing the end of the day, with maybe another 45 minutes left of light. I thought that since they were all part of the same colony that I would go ahead and combine them with the nuc that I already have. I took a piece of newspaper (with a few small holes poked in it) and placed it on top of the existing 5 frame nuc, and then placed a new 5 frame nuc box on top of that. I then transferred the frames from the plastic nuc that was used for the trapout into the new wood nuc box (now sitting on top of the old wooden nuc box full of the previous trapout bees).

After transferring the frames, there was still a substantial amount of bees left in the plastic nuc. So, I shook them onto the top of the wooden box. Unfortunately, my aim was a little off. I would say about 3/4 of the bees hit the top of the nuc, the others fell to the ground. I spent some time smoking the ones that fell to the ground in an attempt to get them up and into the new box. That worked with the bulk of them, but there was still a couple of small clusters of bees that refused to budge. I figured I would give them some time and see if they would make their own way into the box without me tormenting them.

About an hour after dark, I went out to check on them and they were still in two small clusters (maybe half tennis ball sized or smaller). So, I scooped them up and put them in the plastic nuc box in hopes that they would combine and keep each other warm through the night. I didnt want to take the lid off the new box, as I didnt want to disrupt them any more than I already had.

This morning I went out and opened the plastic box, which is sitting right next to the new wood one. My hopes is that they will get the scent of the new box and choose to join.

How did I do? What should I have done differently? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: end of the day nuc transfer left some bees out

I guess I did alright. At the end of the following day, the plastic NUC was void of any bees, and the new wood nuc was full still. and they have already started hauling out the pieces of newspaper that they have torn away.

Default Re: end of the day nuc transfer left some bees out

Sounds like you did a good job. congrats on your trapout!
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 12 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 8 T{OAV}