Default Long Term Trap to Full Hive?

My daughter has bees in a tree that I want to get for the genetics. (She also wants to have the bees gone.) It is about 70 miles away, so cannot monitor or maintain on a daily or even weekly basis.

I have a Hogan trap ready to use. This is what I plan to do:

1. Put a transition on the tree, blocking all other access. Leave for a week or so to be sure they are using it and all other entrances are closed.
    2. Mount the Hogan trap on the transition with the max number of frames in the trap. I can use either foundationless or foundation frames. I do not have any drawn comb or brood available, so will have to do it the hard way. Let the bees enter and exit through the trap for a week or so. Inspect to see if they are drawing any comb in trap frames.
    3. Place the funnel (made of #8 hardware cloth) on the entrance from the tree into the trap. What size opening do I use in the funnel to be sure the queen can get through it?
    4. Monitor as able the rest of the summer. If they successfully make comb and brood in the trap add super(s) as needed during the summer, hopefully moving the entire colony from the tree to the trap/super(s).
    5. At the end of the summer move the entire hive to my home and move all the frames from the trap to another box, creating a proper hive for the colony.

I am using all medium 8 frame equipment, so moving frames around should be easy. Should I be prepared to feed the colony early on while it is moving into the trap, after placing the funnel on the transition, if they have not built comb with honey in the trap?

I am only planning to do it this way because I cannot monitor it often enough to remove bees as they fill the trap. Also, I do not want a lot of hives, so if I end up with only the single hive I will be fine.

If I can get a frame of brood to put in the trap I will do so, but at this point cannot plan on it.

I would appreciate all suggestions and especially comments pointing out where I am messing up.

Thanks

Mike

Default Re: Long Term Trap to Full Hive?

3. Opening size... The size of a pencil.

I would not wait all Summer. The trapout with the screen cone should be complete in no more than 4 weeks. If you have more bees in the tree than your boxe(s) will hold, then they will swarm if the queen has come out into your trap. If she did not come out into your trap, you will have virtually all bees dead from old age in 6 to 8 weeks. (No brood in your trap to replenish the colony.) I would wait 30 days and remove the trap and bees, then kill the ones left in the tree, if that is what they want done.

I am not a big fan of feeding unless there is nothing blooming. Overfeeding leads to welfare bees. Let them work.

A frame of brood, and brood comb helps the process along.

If you need help along the way, private message me and i will try to help

cchoganjr

Default Re: Long Term Trap to Full Hive?

Thanks, Cleo, that is very helpful, since I do not have a good sense of how quickly things may move along. Hopefully I will be able to get a small frame of brood from my new hive when I need it.