Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's the fuss about dandelions?

I used to be pretty adamant about pulling them when they came up..... Amazing how keeping bees changes your perspective....;- )

Quote Originally Posted by Beeswax Paintings View Post
    When I first arrived in North America, I used to think dandelions were "pretty little flowers." They peppered our yard. Then I learned they were weeds. Now that I know bees like them, they might once again be pretty little flowers.
    [this isn't pointed at you specifically beeswax paintings, more general commentary off of your post]

This always makes me laugh because it seems we have this odd relationship with things called "weeds". I love dandelions. As kids we used to rub them on our faces like war paint. I make dandelion wine out of them every year for my wife now. Heard you can eat them but never tried. They light up the rolling hillside with no planting effort, what isn't to like? More recent years taught me they provide a valuable service to bees. Can you do that with most or any flowers that aren't labeled weeds in your yard?

One of my brothers (who lives in a development) systematically commits dandelion genocide each year. He really hates them and calls them weeds (he used to like them too). Sometimes I wonder what drove him mad

I remember reading that a town (or country) survived on eating dandelions, that every part of it is eatable. When i was growing up and going barefooted and seen a dandelion, you looked before you stepped on it, because there was usually a bee on it.

well it all depends on whats blooming at the time currently they fill in the gap here before the fruit trees start to bloom.dandelions start here after the elms and willows my bees are all over them as soon as the first one opens.even right outside there box they continue to bee on them until there gone.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    I remember reading that a town (or country) survived on eating dandelions, that every part of it is eatable. When i was growing up and going barefooted and seen a dandelion, you looked before you stepped on it, because there was usually a bee on it.
    IIRC they were actually planted as a crop during WWII.....

I second the dandelion wine... Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Birdie, I think you need to get your bees some goggles.

One of my favorite "Beverly Hillbillies" scenes is when they first arrive in Beverly Hills and Granny sends Jethro and Ellie May out to get some greens while Granny starts supper. They come back exhausted and dejected and inform Granny "there must've been a famine Granny, why there ain't no greens to be found for miles around, it's all picked clean, not even a dandelion! Nothing but grass as far as you can see!"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    You're absolutely right!:
    The root of the dandelion can be used for medicinal purposes. Its flowers can be harvested for wine. And its greens have a bitterness that can be delicious (plus they're packed with iron). http://www.thekitchn.com/10-ways-to-...-kitchn-188774

I also came across this recipe. Looks good although, based on what I've seen in my hood, I'm better off buying my wild greens. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dandelion-salad/
    Victoria Primicias | ARTECERA Beeswax Paintings

At the moment the dandelions are providing a decent nectar flow. Much more than the fruit trees.

In some hidden places there can be found lots and lots of dandelions.

I use dandelions as follows: I collect one or two hand full of dandelion blossoms and cook them in just a cup of water, lightly simmering for 20 minutes. In the meantime I melt and brown sugar in a shallow pan. Once the water has boiled down a bit I strain off the blossoms and pour the water carefully into the syrup. Stirring it for a minute and let it set and cool in jars. At wintertime the resulting syrup makes a nice remedy for colds. Especially good for treating sore throats.

Comments about timing of supering in reference to Dandelions always confused me because here the main Dandelion bloom is not until early Summer. So it is after swarm season and after most fruit trees have finished flowering.

They are around for a few months before that but not that many are flowering up until that time. So not an early source here.

And I thought you keep on supering all year round in good ol' Australia.

David,
    That water white nectar that you see is likely bedstraw/catch weed - an 8 inch weed that is the whte patch of weed bloom you see now in hayfields and pastures. It's late this year. In that patch of white bloom the blooms are so close together that the bees can walk from one bloom to the next. The bees love it.
    Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    David,
    That water white nectar that you see is likely bedstraw/catch weed - an 8 inch weed that is the whte patch of weed bloom you see now in hayfields
    I wonder if your bedstraw is the same as our bedstraw. Do you have a photo?

Here, bedstraw fills the air with a sweet smell, but bees never visit it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Nice pictures. Were they Photoshopped? Just kidding of course. In our region, I sometimes see bees on dandelions.

I didn't know what bedstraw was, so I googled it. We call it Cleavers around here, if it is what it looked like to me in the pictures. It sticks or rather, clings to just about everything.

That's the one. That no doubt is the source of the other common name (catch weed), It has fine hairs on the stems that stick to your socks. Do plants have "hairs?" It has a couple other stem novelties. The stems are more square than round, and as it grows each stem forks, repeatedly. 1, 2, 4, 8, and the last fork is just below the touching double bloom, making a solid mat of bloom in a solid stand of the plant. If mowed early, that solid mat can be only 3 inchs above the ground. And cold temp tolerant. Will outgrow and shade fescue.

The easiest way to ID a plant you don't know is to drop a sample off at your county Extension office. If the locals don't know, they send it to someone who does. You will get an answer. Did that on this weed, because of its water white nectar. But we don't get that nectar in the supers - It blooms in the storage lull, just prior to main flow.

Walt

Yep, it's hairy and loves to grow in my shrubbery beds. We must have a little different variety here because I have never seen a mat of blooms. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough of it growing together to form a mat.

Here is a video we made of our newly installed package bees bringing in Pollen on day 3. I believe it is mainly dandelion pollen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12