Hybrid View

Big Grin 30 hrs after package install.

ok, so I know the rule is don't bother them for 3 days but I just couldn't contain my self. I have a full length window in my TBH so I just had to take a quick peek. Boy was it worth it!! The photo is unfortunately glary but in person it was the coolest thing I've ever seen!

I cut some medium frames down for them to get started, it's frame-frame-topbar-frame-topbar-frame then all bars and they're hanging from first to last cut frame all the way down to the queen cage at the bottom. I presume that this means they haven't chewed the mashmallow away and released the queen yet(?)

IMG_20140413_173008.jpg

Just thought I'd share

Default Re: 30 hrs after package install.

Cool, isn't it? My first package is doing the same thing. I'm having problems with carpenter ants (just started today) and am concerned about that, but they are eating the 1:1 syrup like crazy. When I removed the queen cage, she was out and there was at least one comb about 3" across and 4" deep. I'm hoping the ants don't drive them off.
    The picture is through the window -- have to figure out a way to get around the glare:-).

The glare is always hard to deal with. You can try turning off the flash, but you then sometimes it is too dark. I actually found that taking them at night worked ok sometimes.

They sell anti-reflective coatings online but they all seem stupid expensive.

If anyone knows of a good source of AR film let me know.

I installed my bees on 04/08/14. this morning I saw ants on the hive. So I wrapped the hive legs with 3" of blue masking tape and then coated the tape with tanglefoot. seems to have done the trick. It might be worth a try.

I've heard the ants in Florida are pretty bad. I doubt Cinnamon would help much, but it may be worth a try.

Turn the flash off and use a flash light off to the side. That will give you perfect results. A bright cloudy day would also work well with no flash.