Default does a swarm ever leave & move straight into a new home

hi, according to what i read a hive preparing for casting a swarm is sending about 10 days prior to take-off scouts out to search for appropriate sites. my question: does it happen that a new site is already picked while the swarm hasnt left, thusly: do swarms ever leave and go to and settle right away in the new site -- without the typical 3 or so days hanging somewhere close to the old hive? cheers, and happy beeing, peter

Default Re: does a swarm ever leave & move straight into a new home

Never seen one leave the parent hive and go directly to their new home. To me it seems they need to cluster first, this makes the initial break from the parent hive and they know the old queen is with them. I have seen a cluster only stay for a few minutes and then take off. Five minutes to five day, who really knows what they are thinking most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    ... I have seen a cluster only stay for a few minutes and then take off....
    they sure were in a rush it seems; swarm-express. do you know where they went¿
    i read that some scouts literally ´reserve´ a site they like, and sometimes for days ... with some sort of guards, even at nights (how, tho, can a few guards manage dropping temperatures at night to maintain body-heat¿¿).
    the trimmed down old-queen: how far can she fly the moment of (or a few minutes later onwards, as you say) the swarm leaving the old hive?
    gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by sweettooth View Post
    do swarms ever leave and go to and settle right away in the new site..
    Yes, it happens. Have seen it twice times. One moved straight into an empty hive in my apiary. The other moved straight into an old hollow pear tree.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Yes, it happens....
    servus bernhard, did both settle there permanently¿ dankeschón, peter

Yes, both settled permanently. Don't think it is too uncommon or rare.

>hi, according to what i read a hive preparing for casting a swarm is sending about 10 days prior to take-off scouts out to search for appropriate sites. my question: does it happen that a new site is already picked while the swarm hasnt left, thusly: do swarms ever leave and go to and settle right away in the new site -- without the typical 3 or so days hanging somewhere close to the old hive? cheers, and happy beeing, peter

I would not say that 3 days is typical at all. I would say that is rare. Typical is they swarm out and hang on a tree at 10:00 am and at 2:00 pm they fly off into the wild blue yonder. But I've seen them just get settled and immediately take off for their new home. I have not seen them skip the biviouc completely.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've only seen this happen once with a nuc in the late summer or fall, they take off and fly like an arrow right out of the apiary.