Default New age bee cut out

I just collected a plastic barrel, those 18 to 25 gallon size that had been run over by a tractor in the long past. It had a small colony of just 5 combs in it. I smoked it, slide it into a large black trash bag and placed it in the trunk. Hauled it home.

I just placed it in the bee yard last night, should have done the cut out then, but kids stuff had me busy to nearly 10. So this afternoon after work and kids baseball, I geared up and did the cut out. Four of the comb had broken off and I likely lost most that brood, but was able to remove the 5 combs, rubber band them into medium frames and set up a double stack nuc. There was a pile of bees, easily the size of a football and they had already attached the broken comb to the bottom of the barrel and were cluster in two groups. One on the remaining attached comb and one cluster on the comb on the floor. Not tons of drones, but quite a few. So I slid empty frames in between the five frames as I assembled the double nuc. If the queen is there and she starts laying I might break this into two nucs.

I was told they were mean, but in picking up the barrel and messing with them in the backyard they are not bad.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: New age bee cut out

Figured they must be new age bees using recycled plastic barrels instead of something more traditional.

Have some pictures will try to post tomorrow.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Well I have eggs, single eggs in the comb so I have the queen in there some where. Waahooo.

Hive 2.jpg Here is the bees trying to decide if they wanted the plastic barrel or the wooden hive

Hive 1.jpg Here is the bees after they decided they would accept the new house

Hive 3.jpg A look inside the barrel, can see the comb that broke free.

And these gals are building comb like crazy. It is amazing.

Awesome man!

Nice job, looks good from here!

They evidently like their new diggs. It's going to be a while until I see swarms and cutouts. We still have snow on the ground and 25 degree temps for lows.

Yea a cold front on April 15 is not nice. Glad my garden is late. Folks not far north of here were getting freeze warnings.

Hang in there Mr. Beeman, spring and summer is not far away.