Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What flowers make honey taste bad?

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Buckwheat. It produces a revolting flavor of honey.
    The first time I had buckwheat honey from the store, it was bad. But, Buckwheat honey that is "raw" is very tasty, IMO.

Shane

You probably won't have to worry about bad tasting honey in Lander. I don't know but you will probably be relying on alfalfa mostly.

There are different types of privet the variety you find mostly in GA makes good honey. (sorry can't remember name off hand)

meant to quote Mellina on that as were both in GA.

Yes we do have mostly alfalfa thanks!
    DeBEE

>I am still thinking how to make the eucalyptus honey taste better that they harvest in the Spring and Fall. It tastes almost like cough drop or menthol/camphor medicine flavor.

I buy it at a premium. I love it. Maybe not as much as sourwood, but it's up in my top ten.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

We have a strong privet flow and it is light and mild tasting. Just had a bee meeting and a lady said she has started planting buckwheat and it makes great honey. I think the soil that a plant is growing in can make a lot of difference in the flavor of the nectar.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

So many of us have palates trained on blended clover honey, sugar, and sweeteners...
    I let new customers know -- as a positive -- that fresh honey may have more intense flavors than they get at the grocery store (just like fresh local vegetables have more flavor). Also that honey can taste different every season -- sometimes every week. (I prefer some varieties of tomatoes, potatoes, corn, lettuce, etc. more than others. But I like to experience the variety.) Honey tastings are fun!