Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Test grafts

Default Re: Test grafts

You must be looking at the interior frame feeders. Mann Lake. Pro-feeder with cap and ladder. 1 1/2 gallon.

Thanks. And what are the narrow frames for? Long hives?

What narrow frames? I use standard deep frames and half sized deeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Overwintering full sized colonies on half sized deeps gives me some prime frames for making up mating nucs

Nice fresh comb for grafting

Heres how those colonies looked early this spring.

Even though they have easy access to the empty side, they never make a mess, even when they get crowded. They quickly outgrow there confinement though. Keep extra modified box's and frames ready. A great constant supply of mini frames for mating nucs all summer.

And last summer:

New frames getting drawn and filled. Extra room on the sides makes for more capped honey stored near brood cells.

Heres a similar made frame in January:

Tha half sized deeps (9 1/4") take some time to make, but I like the quality and reliability of the finished product.
    I just cut down frames and remill the one end of the top and bottom bar.

The pictures here show what I am asking about.

I believe that those are for mating nucs. Some partition a 10 frame deep to hold four queen cells for mating.
    Donny

Mating nuc from a 4-22-14 hatch. Looking good and right on time. Weathers holding and the risk of any really bad weather is slim now.

I love your pictures! Do you have any early stage ones?

Here are some 46-hr cells from a test grafting I did earlier this week: http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php...5&ppuser=35828

I have 5 cells drawn out of 8 grafts. An earlier test was a complete failure for several reasons. Despite that I still tried a couple of new things for this one. All cells were primed with 2:1 syrup. With the chinese tool it didn't seem to help or hurt. With the german stainless grafting tool the priming made it much easier to get the larvae off the hook. It was hard to tell if the larvae was floating on the surface or below the surface.

I did six with the chinese tool and two with the german tool. Success was 4/6 and 1/2. The cell on the left was with the german tool.

One of the cells looks like it does not have as much royal jelly as the others. It will be interesting to see how it looks at 10 days.

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123