Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Betterbee Under New Ownership

13K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Matt NY 
#1 ·
Just announced that Betterbee has been sold to new owners. I wish the Best of luck to Mrs Stevens and to the new guys.

#3 ·
Re: Betterbee

I wish the Best of luck to Mrs Stevens and to the new guys.
One of the new guys is an old friend, and recently retired veterinarian. He's a great beekeeper, winters nucleus colonies, and is a member of the Vermont Queen Rearing Project. Betterbee is going to promote locally raised stock, and will be running classes on producing local bees and queens. They've inquired about buying overwintered nucleus colonies and queens from my apiary. I look forward to working with Jack and the rest. The Northeast needs a company like Betterbee, and I hope they can salvage their business after years of neglect and poor customer relations.

#5 ·

One of the new guys is an old friend, and recently retired veterinarian. He's a great beekeeper, winters nucleus colonies, and is a member of the Vermont Queen Rearing Project. Betterbee is going to promote locally raised stock, and will be running classes on producing local bees and queens. They've inquired about buying overwintered nucleus colonies and queens from my apiary. I look forward to working with Jack and the rest. The Northeast needs a company like Betterbee, and I hope they can salvage their business after years of neglect and poor customer relations.

http://www.betterbee.com/About-Us

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

#10 ·

A little shipping mix up recently when ordering 2 NWC queens for delivery in Spring 2013. Brought it to their attention (customer service) the next day and received a phone message from Joe Cali that evening. I called back the next morning and spoke with Jack Rath who was intent on making this right and keeping me a satisfied customer. He and I had a good conversation, solved the issue at hand and I came away thinking that these new guys are serious about customer service. My order total was $51.00
Might be time to give'em another chance.

#16 ·
Re: Beware of Betterbee

I have been a customer of Betterbee since 1979. I live nearby, and the savings on shipping costs on heavy bee supplies was great. Gradually, they dropped products I like, their quality suffered, and their backorders, forced me to go elsewhere. The owners of the new Betterbee have worked to change all that. Betterbee continues to improve. They listen and they care. Everyone has a Betterbee story, but the story has changed. I would encourage anyone to give them a try and see for yourself.

#17 ·

Back in the day Betterbee was the only player in the Northeast and there shift away from customer service reflected that. Now there are many other options in bee equipment including Branch offices of Brushy Mt, Kelley and Independent operations like Harvey Honey and VT Bee Supply. It will be pretty tough to rebuild the customer relations that former management burned. If I had purchased Betterbee I personally would have reformed under a new name. The reincarnation of Betterbee will be a tough sell for many former customers.

#19 ·

I have a lot of former experience with Betterbee. I am not saying avoid them. Just that re-branding a brand that has been known for back orders and poor customer service for a decade is a hard sell when former business practices opened up the Northeast for plenty of competition.

It was merely a response to a post that obviously was posted by somebody who has a vested interest in Betterbees success.

#20 ·

Bluegrass, I have to disagree. I have no vested interest in Betterbee, but I am interested in seeing them succeed. With today's internet word, bad AND good travels much faster than in days past. I believe news about the new owners and their desire to provide good service and products will spread pretty quickly. I would encourage anyone who has recently had a good experience with the new Betterbee to post it here.

#21 ·

I placed two orders with the new owners of Betterbee at the ABF conference this year in Hershey. All of the products I ordered came in good shape and on time. I have ordered from them since, and the same is true. I will order from them again any time they have what I need at a good price.

#24 ·

As far as I can tell the new owners are nothing but awesome and are probably the salt of the earth. However, because of the previous owners I moved on and have established excellent relationships with the companies I deal with now. I have nothing against the present owners. They are just new owners of a company that I don't buy from anymore.

#26 ·

As far as I can tell the new owners are nothing but awesome and are probably the salt of the earth. However, because of the previous owners I moved on and have established excellent relationships with the companies I deal with now. I have nothing against the present owners. They are just new owners of a company that I don't buy from anymore.
Well said.

#25 ·

We had the new Betterbee folks at our Fall Mtng in Syracuse this past November. They are very nice guys who know the history. They deserve a chance to overcome that past. Under new management for sure. Give them a try and you won't be disappointed.

One thing I found encouraging is that they hired back some of the people who had been let go by the previous management. That shows me that they have an appreciation and concern for their employees.

#27 ·

I have been nothing but impressed with the new ownership at betterbee. I am a regular customer in person and via the web. When I need something yesterday I can just call and verify inventory and pick it up. They are only a 2 hours drive from me. When I have sometime before I need things I give them a call and its shipped FedEx and I usually get it in 2-3 days.

I love Mann Lake but sometimes it takes them 10 days befoire I recieve my order. Also, Mann Lakes HUGE price increase on wax foundation really bothers me. Its seems like they keep going higher and high. I can get 25lb bulk foundation shipped to me cheaper than Mann Lakes cost with free shipping.

I make most of my equipment but I buy frames and foundation and the odd "new' item or two.

I am finding myself ordering from Betterbee more and more. They are friendly and polite. They have patients to answer all the newbies questions and deal with a sideliner like me who just want products at a good price and someone to say thank you!

#28 ·

The new & improved Betterbee has been amazing. I ordered a Maxant extractor Sunday nite after having used my hand-crank plastic one all afternoon, so it was late Sunday nite. It is on my doorstep in less than 48 hours! All my recent orders have been filled correctly, packed well, and delivered in a timely manner. I met the new owners last fall and figured they seem like my kind of people...and they were. GREAT JOB, guys.

#29 ·

Had my first "issue" with the new betterbee. I ordered sever 100 packs of frames both mediums and deeps. Upon unpacking, I quickly realized I received only 1/2 of the end bars. I called them and the customer service people were very friendly and asked a few questions to understand what I received. The apologized for the error and shipped out the missing merchandise ASAP.

Exactly how it should be when errors occur!

#30 ·

Just tried them for the first time. Bought some nuc supers and inner covers. Nice folks, shipped the stuff fast and I had it in less than 4 days. They have some specialty items that I've not seen elsewhere.

The change in ownership seems to have been a great improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.