Default Adding a second hive body

I have a hive that died over the winter and will be re-hiving it in a week. Both of the deeps I plan to use have drawn frames in them. For the life of me, I can't remember when I should add the second deep with my drawn frames once I do the install. I remember something about a 7-9 frame suggestion, but does that mean 7-9 frames of drawn comb, frames of bees, stores/pollen/capped eggs, or what???? Thanks, juzzer

Default Re: Adding a second hive body

I add the second deep when the bees finish drawing out 7 to 8 of the frames. If you wait too long they will get overcrowded.
    ----
    Joe

I personally don't think that it hurts to put it on too early, but when the first box of drawn comb has 7-8 frames with stuff in them (brood, pollen, honey), I'll be sure the add the second box.
    Bruce

Yeah, 7-9 frames, generally everything except the outside 2 have been drawn.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

It seems to be personal preference, so far. Some do the 7-8 frames of drawn and then add, some do the 7-8 frames of filled(honey, pollen, eggs) and then add. I was planning since all of the frames have been already drawn, common practice was to wait until 7-8 frames were filled with something. Otherwise, I would be starting out with 2 deeps of drawn right from the get go. Last year I think I put the deeps and my supers on too early and it seemed like they never completely finish filling the frames but moved on to the next box.

As for supers, do you wait until the frames are 7-8 frames drawn or actually filled or capped before adding the next super?Thanks, juzzer

They usually don't draw frames until they use them, so waiting until 7-8 are drawn is pretty much the same as waiting until 7-8 drawn frames are filled. But letting them move on up early isn't really a problem. Most times my two deeps contract to the top deep over winter. Later in the spring they have expanded back down into the bottom deep. When you have all drawn frames, I wouldn't obsess over it.
    Bruce