Default Food grade buckets

I've been looking for some and was at the store today and got some from the bakery. Well they had icing in them but on the bottom didn't have HDPE on it. Other ones I have have a 2 in the triangle( for recycling) but has HDPE under it. These buckets have 5 in the triangle and pp under it.So would these be okay to store honey in?

Default Re: Food grade buckets

Thanks that was what I was looking for. Very good info. Maybe I will see if I can get some donated to our club for others. Thanks again!!!!

Lowes sells food grade buckets...usually in stock

I buy mine from a local doughnut shop, icing comes in them. $1.00 each

Quote Originally Posted by davpress View Post
    I will have to try that!

Quote Originally Posted by davpress View Post
    I get mine from the local grocery store bakery (Price Chopper). They don't charge for them. In a pinch I have bought them from a donut shop (Lamar's). I was disappointed in the quality though.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Yes they were free and also had icing in. Do you feed the icing to your bees davpress or anyone? Going to get a few more just to make sure I have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmaster50 View Post
    Yes they were free and also had icing in. Do you feed the icing to your bees davpress or anyone? Going to get a few more just to make sure I have enough.
    I don't, my local bakery washes the buckets out before they sell them to me. I probably wouldn't anyway, without knowing the ingredients.

One tip is to go to your local Walmart bakery around an hour before closing and ask if they have any empty icing buckets. Ask the bakery worker. Friday & Saturdays are good because a certain number of parents delay parties until weekend, though every day is fine because b-days are fairly evenly distributed. Let them know you're fine if it hasn't been cleaned.

Because of Walmart's packaging reduction initiative, they are supposed to clean each bucket and send it back on a truck to be ground and sold for pennies/ton. Most closers staring at the clock will be happy not to clean a half-dozen buckets and then clean up the mess made from cleaning out the buckets.

Another strategy is to call the bakery beforehand and ask what time they stop decorating cakes and show up around that time.

Our local Walmart will not sell them, or give them away. They keep referring to their recycling program. I may try that Saturday night thing though, hopefully find a kid that is willing to give away instead of washing out! LOL
    It is a tall, right handed, world! I am neither!!!!

Scored a stack of buckets from a restaurant. Was all happy until I started smelling them and noticed they were pickle buckets. Food grade yes...no good for honey but they're fine for wax, feeding, syrup, or hauling tools.
    You can not get that smell out. (tried)
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Here in North Carolina we have the Food Lion grocery chain and their bakery will give away the icing buckets. I do not feed the icing but it is messy to clean out. It helps to have an outside hot water hose outlet.
    Just some thoughts.