Default Using Caulk/Silicone in Hives?

I'm going to experiment by attaching two Langstroth hives together to make a horizontal hive. I know there will be gaps when I connect them. My plan is to fill the gaps with caulk, but I'm not sure if it will hurt the bees. Any feedback? I don't want it to be like my bees are sniffing glue or something.

Thanks for your feedback!

Laura P

Default Re: Using Caulk/Silicone in Hives?

I wouldn't worry about bee health issues with caulk, but when I have holes or wood defects that I want to fill in my hives, I put some Titebond glue in the hole/gap and then press in some sawdust with my fingers. At about $17 per gallon for Titebond II, it is cheaper than caulk (and many paints) and very durable. Sawdust is readily available in my shop - and priced right!
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

If they are only small gaps (less than bee space) the bees will caulk them for you. Otherwise TiteBond and sawdust is a great filler at a great price.

Peter

Titebond and sawdust is always a winner, I use painters putty to seal nail holes in top covers before painting otherwise I let the bees do it.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Thank you! I didn't even think about trying something else. I appreciate your taking time to reply!