Default Eco Wood Treatment

Has anyone used Eco Wood Treatment on their hives? I'm starting mine this month and purchased from Amazon. Found it cheaper there. It was recommended from someone at Kelley Bee. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I'm going to pick up another hive this week and will need to coat it as well. So trying to decide how I would like to prep that one.
    I was told the benefits of it were its eco friendly and that you don't have to reapply like you would paint. It makes a nice color on the wood that I like, but I saw a semi with a bunch of painted boxes the other day that was so pretty! Considering painting the one I'm about to pick up :]

Default Re: Eco Wood Treatment

Sorry to say it is junk. Do a search here on BS, you'll find lots of posts on it.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Bummer. Thats not what I wanted to hear. Guess I better break out the paint brushes

Eco wood treatment works fine to suppress fungal growth, but it does not prevent water moving in and out of the wood. Around here, with the inside waterproofed by the bees, that means serious warping and cracking, just about the same as not doing anything at all to the wood.

You can use it as a rot prevention treatment, but I would then coat the boxes with a coat or two of boiled linseed oil, let it dry 24 hours (it will still be oily), then coat with a coat or two of good quality (Zinzer, etc) oil based primer. This will allow the linseed oil to penetrate into the wood, then polymerize with the primer coat and it will very rarely peel. Plain primer or latex "all in one" paints will not penetrate into the wood and have a distressing tendency to start peeling in a few years. I have plenty of boxes that will have to be re-painted as a result.

Once the primer is dry, paint with a couple coats of high quality exterior paint, semi-gloss is best because it shed dirt more easily and appears to be less porous than flat paints.

Off tint paints are readily available at all paint stores for very low cost, usually $5 a gallon around here. May be strange colors, but the bees don't care and a mix of different colors helps prevent drifting.

Paint is considerably less expensive than boxes.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I had already coated one hive in eco treatment when I mtmade the post. That one now has eco and a few coats of an outdoor semi gloss i found cheap in a color i actually love! Glad to hear semi will work well! I didnt use hardly any of the gallon for three coats so I'll have plenty for repaint or to use on my other hive whenever i can get it up and going!

Don't skip the linseed oil and primer, latex paints don't stick very well to plain pine, and the paint will simply peel off in sheets in a year or two without the primer.

not a huge issue because you can re-prime and paint later, but I prefer to do the job right the first time personally!

Peter

So when a box needs repainting (probably a noob question so forgive me) do i just transfer frames to a different box and place back on stand?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateShipp View Post
    So when a box needs repainting (probably a noob question so forgive me) do i just transfer frames to a different box and place back on stand?
    That's what I do. I pick the correct time of the season and trade a newly painted box for the one that needs painting.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Ok. My bees haven't even arrived yet but good to know in advance

I Like Eco Wood treatment I have painted equipment that is less than 5 years old that is rotted and worthless Eco stuff 3-4 years old and going strong some slight repeat slight warping not near enough to make unusable or even unsightly it does get darker than I wish but no rot and little to no time to apply and dry
    have used on 30 -50 or so boxes and 30 bottom boards

David

IMG_20150512_223604.jpg

Here is what we have so far. The deep on the eco treated hive is not prepped yet...
    She thinks thhe "brown one needs to be painted yellow"
    The blue one has eco with the blue over.