Default Digging this swarm removal thing

I setup a phone number for our "service".

Put an ad on craigslist and called the local animal rescue people (they were glad we called, their old guy said he didn't want anymore).

Got a hit within 2 hours of the animal rescue people about a cut out. My buddy went look at that, forgot to ask him about it.

A friend from FB had a friend with a swarm that I went pick up (went like text book, no gear, just snip and place in box... awesome!)

Today had 3 calls, one swarm that I think the lawn guys spooked up and they must have moved on before I got there (was there in 20 mins) then a trap out of a hive in a tree and right after that a call about a swarm in a bush.

Went shake that out and it's now how at my buddy's place.

As busy as it is, I just wish there was more money in it! LOL

Mostly, I'm just stoked that we have so many feral colonies still around, and we had the worse winter in the last 20 years this past year... so they are survivors!

Default Re: Digging this swarm removal thing

Glad to hear its going good. I hope to catch my first swarm this year -- and maybe more.
    ----
    Joe

Now calling the local animal rescue place is a good idea. I do believe I will steal that idea from you.

Glad things are working out.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    Now calling the local animal rescue place is a good idea. I do believe I will steal that idea from you.

Glad things are working out.
    Yeah, most of our calls are coming from them giving out our number.

Helps that I own my own businesses and can haul ***** at a moments notice.

Other places to call would be Pest control, and your local electric or gas companies, and local school districts. Maybe the Fire department and Police departments too.

No reason not to charge once you become competent. Removals and swarm catching can be a lucrative side gig during the season if you're in a good area.

Having a construction background I've made money from bees since day one and have never boughten a bee.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by D Semple View Post
    No reason not to charge once you become competent. Removals and swarm catching can be a lucrative side gig during the season if you're in a good area.

Having a construction background I've made money from bees since day one and have never boughten a bee.

Don
    We certainly plan to charge for most cut outs. Right now we have a freebie because the house is being torn down. Not only can we tear it up any way we need to get the job done, I'm sure they would probably just kill the bees vs pay for removal since they will be demoing the house in the end.

I heard of a guy around here doing cut outs for $100 bucks flat! that's insane. We have real jobs and if it isn't worth our time then we won't do it. I calculated that rule a LONG time ago as my time became more and more precious.

Swarm catching is harder to charge for... I'm thinking about saying "we do appreciate tips" when they call us.

I feel it's easy pickings (usually) and a good public service. Besides, a swarm will end up in a house around there eventually and they will remember to call us then as well.