Default Package Progress Timeline?

Posted this in the 101 section but thought maybe I would get some response here as well.
    My brother and I installed a package of bees on Saturday, April 5th into a virgin top bar hive. Other than refilling syrup we have stayed out of the hive except to release queen when she was not in the cluster.

We got into the hive this afternoon for a quick peak and we have about a volleyball sized cluster hanging from multiple top bars. When we pulled them apart slightly the bees are clinging to each other, but I did not notice any wax strings and there was no comb in the hive. I've seen several packages having drawn comb and eggs after 3-4 days.

It has been pretty cool here yet with highs in the mid to upper 50s. Nights dipping down to the mid-upper 30s. Is this normal? Is it too cold to be building comb? Is there anything I should do besides waiting a couple days to check syrup again?

Video... doesn't show much, but it's there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc-g...JnmgRsDwvl0N3w

Thanks!
    Jacob

Default Re: Package Progress Timeline?

Jacob,

Be patient! Time takes time, and the bees know what they are doing.

The rate at which a package builds their new home will depend on many factors, including temperature.

Be patient!

Pete
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

I'm not getting inpatient, I just want to know if there is a risk of them dying out? What kind of temp do they need? 60s look to be the highs here for the next week or so.

I think they should be ok. Give them another week before you peek at them. The festooning is what they do to make the comb, and you don't want to disturb that process. I think it might be a bit cold for them to make comb anyway. Are they taking the syrup? One thing you can do is bring it inside each night so it doesn't get as cold as the outside temps. Then they tend to take it a bit quicker. The other thing I do is spike the syrup. I use anise oil, but others use honey b healthy or lemongrass oil. Bees tend to gobble down stuff when it has a flavor to it.

They are taking the syrup, we had a heating pad for the first few nights that were getting into the 20s. The idea being to keep the syrup warmer and in turn the hive. Seemed to work OK. The amount they take seems to be wildly variable, however. But maybe that's normal.