Lightbulb Bee Intallation, can it be this easy?

I sort of had a freak out moment yesterday knowing my first bees would be here in about a week, so I started watching install videos on youtube and I ran across this guy.

For those that don't want to watch it he basically sets the package down in the back of his hive, pulls the syrup can and the queen and hangs her up near the front. Then he closes up the hive and lets them crawl over to her. He comes back 3 hours later to an empty package and all the bees at the front with the queen. He pulls the package out and adds some sugar water to the back.

http://youtu.be/ZUBxAxFTrXU

http://youtu.be/11B1hxJyF0I

It looks like it worked just fine for him, is there any reason not to do it this way? It seems a lot more laid back and nicer to the bees.

Default Re: Bee Intallation, can it be this easy?

> It seems a lot more laid back and nicer to the bees.

The bees are just happy to get out of the package. I don't see any evidence they mind getting shaken out. They are usually not upset at me for shaking them out at all, they are just happily buzzing around getting oriented.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It's way more fun and exciting to shake them out and that's what it's all about, right?
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

That's more or less what I do. The second time I did packages, I tried shaking em out without any protection and managed to piss them off royally getting stung about 20 times in the process. Since then I basically the same method as in the video (as suggested by someone here). I just take the queen and syrup out. Put an empty hive body on the bottom of the hive and put the package on its side in the empty hive body. Then put a box with frames on next, and wedge the queen in the frames somewhere. The bees come on out and the next day you can pull out an empty box from the bottom. Otherwise I end up trying to shake every last bee out (your paid for them buggers right?) and usually get stung a few too many times for my liking.

And yeah, it really is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by tsk View Post
    ... Otherwise I end up trying to shake every last bee out (your paid for them buggers right?) and usually get stung a few too many times for my liking.

And yeah, it really is easy.
    I usually suit up .. I don't like getting stung. And I shake. It's a quick and simple process and avoids you needing to go back into the have later and disturb them yet again.

That said, I don't shake until every last bee is out. Once the majority of bees have fallen, just leave the package in front of the hive entrance and they will make their way into the hive.

Shaking bees into the hive with no protection? Dude...
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

+1 on Cryptobrian. That is the way to go. I tried the leave the package in the hive method and after a few hours there was still as many bees in the package as out of it. Shaking them gets them to cluster.

I didn't watch the videos. Was there any mention of pulling the plug out of the queen cage so they could get her out?
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends ---- Robert Earl Keen

Finally received my package yesterday, did the same, no suit, no smoke, no sugar spray only one hit on right arm just above the wrist. I would say a vary good install. Just thought I'd see how docile they were right from the get go.

Is there a reason you can't see how docile they are with protective gear on?

Good point JW. I would think that a glove full of stingers would show you how docile they are!

I like to live on the edge, life's no fun if you play safe all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by imthegrumpyone View Post
    I like to live on the edge, life's no fun if you play safe all the time.
    its kinda cool when you're living on the edge with just one eye, too.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

I saw a video last year (my first year) where the guy took out half of the frames and just opened the package and placed it in. That seemed easy so I did it. checked on it the next day and half of the bees were still in the packages. So I ended up shaking them out. This year I have 3 packages coming. I will probably just cut to the chase this year and shake them out.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

I installed my first package yesterday and shook them according to instructions on Michael Bush's website. It was quick and easy and SO fun! I wore a veil but no gloves and didn't get stung. An AMAZING experience that I highly recommend that you do not miss.

Bee Weaver Apiary, from whom I bought my bees, recommended the 'place whole package in hive" method for TBH, with a feeder can on the inside. I still found at least a couple dozen bees got out, I got "stung" three times (none pierced jacket/gloves), but all in all, it went well. Given that storm delay left the bees in the package a whole day longer than overnight mail intended, I removed the package the next afternoon (maybe a total of 30 hours). Most of the bees were out, festooning in a great bunch where I'd hung the queen cage (sorry Mr. Bush, just couldn't bring myself to let her out directly). I placed the package under the hive so the few remaining bees could get out. No housekeeping necessary to clean out dead bees. Did find one live drone, and I lifted him up and placed him near the entrance. Next day, I removed the queen cage, and found at least one good piece of honeycomb already built. They are eating feed like crazy, finishing 18 oz. a day.

In any case, I'm not convinced that this method is necessarily better than just shaking them in! It could be my bees were crankier having been in the box an extra day (they sure hated the car ride home from UPS), and so more apt to sting (they've been fine ever since). Bee Weaver recommends this to help with absconding, I think, especially when the hive is brand new (as mine is).