Hybrid View

Default Question from new beek

I installed my package Saturday with no problems. Question is how long should I feed them? They are feeding heavily but we have lots of stuff in bloom now.

Default Re: Question from new beek

I installed two packages and started giving them sugar syrup right away. The first week they were all over it. By the second week they stopped taking it. I guess after getting settled in they found better food elsewhere. I'd feed them until they stop taking it.
    "If I only knew then what I know now but keep forgetting"

> I'd feed them until they stop taking it.

Bees are hoarders. They will probably not stop taking it and they will probably swarm before they ever get established. Once they have some capped stores and there is nectar available I would stop feeding them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Once they have some comb with capped stores leave them. You can always start feeding again if the weather turns bad and they can't get out for foraging.

http://augustcottageapiary.wordpress.com/

Feeding for the first month until replacement bees are emerging is reasonable as long as there is good forage available there after.

thanks for the advise guys. I know we have pollen but Im not sure about nectar. I guess I will let them finish what they have and stop feeding after that.