Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Inspiration to keep going

That maybe true, but commercial beekeeping is not comparable to any of those things, as a matter a fact its so unique i wouldn't compare it to any other business.
    How would Barry Know? Is he a commercial bee keeper?

We are not running practices or doing customer service. We are knees in the dirt head in the beehive. over and over and over again.
    but you can get really good at math being a commercial beekeeper.
    Mechanical aptitude is first in line next to understanding bees to bee successful.

I have almost 4000 hives and one crappy notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    not because they aren't good doctors but because they assumed that because they were "smart" they knew how to run a business...
    Just because someone has a PhD doesn't mean they are any smarter/intelligent than a high school graduate. It just means they have gone thru an education system and endured its nuiances until they graduated. I have seen PhD holders who are utterally lost, as well as High School drop outs who built a business with their hands and made millions from it.

With that stated, I do feel accounting is important for a successful business. Then again so isnt market analysis, product research, and excellent marketing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    We are not running practices or doing customer service. We are knees in the dirt head in the beehive. over and over and over again.
    but you can get really good at math being a commercial beekeeper.
    Mechanical aptitude is first in line next to understanding bees to bee successful.
    I have almost 4000 hives and one crappy notebook.
    We do provide services. We offer pollination services, some offer bee removal services as well. We do offer both products and services, even if much of the record keeping is done with clumps of dirt on lids, or sharpie markings on the lids and a crappy notebook.

Mechanical aptitude is pretty important too. It sucks when your alternator craps out at 6am on a Sunday and you have a load of bees on the back.

>Just because someone has a PhD doesn't mean they are any smarter/intelligent than a high school graduate.

I absolutely agree, but they always think they are and Doctors are often the worst. Or any smarter than a guy like Dave Thomas of Wendy's who only had a fourth grade education (never even got to high school) and started a multimillion dollar business. Sometimes I think it forces you to make the better decision when you don't have a degree to mislead into complacency...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just got a new Alternator for my diesel bee truck yesterday, only 650 bucks after core and my discount, regular price 942.00 +tx and core and shipping .. Costs never stop coming and that is life, nothing ever goes the way you want it to, that is all part of being in business for yourself. You must factor big repairs in an annual budget in your business and I am realizing those cost now :/

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    We do provide services. We offer pollination services, some offer bee removal services as well. We do offer both products and services, even if much of the record keeping is done with clumps of dirt on lids, or sharpie markings on the lids and a crappy notebook.

Mechanical aptitude is pretty important too. It sucks when your alternator craps out at 6am on a Sunday and you have a load of bees on the back.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, my wife and I were married on the SJ Garnet Farm just outside of Andrews back in 1976. We lived there a cpl years prior to that and had a Marble Post Office Box. Before that I worked and lived in
    Brasstown.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Good Call Barry Digman!
    I really appreciate these comments. Just so yall know, I do have a college education. The commercial guy I worked for did not....haha kinda funny. But I do think accounting (no matter how basic it may be) is the mortar between the bricks.
    Thanks again yall
    Just curious, do yall build your own hives to save money? The hives out of the catalog seem pricey.

I have an agreement with my accountant. She doesn't keep bees and I don't keep books. It works out just fine. I always know when I'm out of money because the bank will send a letter every time.

Quote Originally Posted by CWoods View Post
    Just curious, do yall build your own hives to save money? The hives out of the catalog seem pricey.
    Some make their own, others shop around And buy massive quantities at a time to get volume discount. Then there are shops that dont specialize in beekeeping items that make boxes and such. Around me there are a few different Amish woodworkers that will make a box for about 1/2 what it would cost from one of the big companies.

I think, if you are large enough to make a living, it will not pay to be a woodworker. More time with the bees less time in the shop.

No. Quality would suffer and I believe in doing what I do best (whatever that is) and pay for the rest. Unless you have the woodshop equipment and the time is there really much savings.

I look on it like I do queens. When I need queens I don't have the time, skill, and knowledge to grow my own, so I buy them from someone who does have the time, skill, and knowledge.

That said, since you asked the question, you might have to try it yourself in order to figure out whether it fits your program.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

If starting with just 50 hives, you will have so much time on your hands you may as well do some wood working. Who needs six and a half days off a week? Hahaha

I build my own hive boxes, but I only have 130 hives at the moment and will have 200+ at the end of this season. I do it in the winter months and it is very very time consuming and cold!!! There is no heat in the building I work in and sometimes it is hard to get good dry lumber when you want it, stocking a lot of lumber stick piled is sometimes a challenge too because I find it wants to turn into soup bowls and any knots will pop out and then you are losing money on damaged material. I also build all my pallets and covers.
    I don't think it is worth the extra time spent if you could afford to purchase it with a cash flow that you have, buy what you need and use it . I personally don't have the money to buy all of my own stuff yet .

Good Call Barry Digman!
    I really appreciate these comments. Just so yall know, I do have a college education. The commercial guy I worked for did not....haha kinda funny. But I do think accounting (no matter how basic it may be) is the mortar between the bricks.
    Thanks again yall
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Good Call Barry Digman!
    Unless you love doing it I would not look at it as saving money. Supers and frames are so inexpensive in realtive terms. You are trading time for some savings but unless you have a really nice workshop with expensive tooling, a cheap supply of lumber(that is dried and straight), skills and patience you will regret building your own stuff. Especially as you grow to commercial level. Equipment that is EXACTLY interchangeable becomes so important. I worked for my dad and he didn't see this and it was chaos. I would buy the equipment as save the time for more important endeavors. The tendency with home built equipment is to keep it no matter what because you have invested time in it. If my purchased stuff has a problem I ship it back and don't waste any time on it. Just my opinion.

Hey CWood, My personal experience has directed the path I am on now. I grew up in a large family migratory bee business, Dad running 5,000 hives of bees in Nebraska/Texas. When I was brilliant at the age of 25 Dad was not running his business like I thought he should. So, I left him moved to GA and started my own bee business with 1,500 hives of bees all on borrowed money (trucks, extractors, uncapper, forklifts, etc.). Somehow ‘my way’ of running bees caused me to go broke and broker and busted over the course of 12 years. It took my wife and I fifteen years to dig out of debt. What did I learn? 1. I was not a good manager. 2. Don’t fix it if it isn’t broken Dad’s way worked fine). And biggest of all I was only making bulk honey for my income. That was turned upside down in 1992 when the Chinese dumped 29 cent honey into America. Interesting my Dad ran bees right on till he was 72 while I had to take an hourly job. I am now coming back completely debt free, I refuse to borrow even one dime. My wife went to college in finance and is my built in money manager. I am building a bee business with three sources of income. Honey in still number one because I love working bees to make honey. Three years ago I added in making 5 frame nucs for sale, not as easy as some folks make it out to be. And next year or two I will add in pollination. 2011 I was running 30 hives, 2012 split to 60 hives for me and sold nucs, 2013 split to 120 hives and doubled nucs sold. This year split to 240 hives for me and will sell less nucs. I am using almost all used beehive equipment, used extracting equipment and an old truck that should be replaced. This year will be the hard to keep my hourly job and run the bees to three honey crops (south GA, north GA and NC sourwood). Next year I will have to decide if I leave my hourly job. Just my experience, i'm glad if it helps.

Hmmm. This machine could change the balance of the buy/build equation for the folks who are replacing hundreds of boxes at a time. It's pretty slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLbZ22So1A
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Makin' Honey View Post
    Hey CWood, My personal experience has directed the path I am on now. I grew up in a large family migratory bee business, Dad running 5,000 hives of bees in Nebraska/Texas. When I was brilliant at the age of 25 Dad was not running his business like I thought he should. So, I left him moved to GA and started my own bee business with 1,500 hives of bees all on borrowed money (trucks, extractors, uncapper, forklifts, etc.). Somehow ‘my way’ of running bees caused me to go broke and broker and busted over the course of 12 years. It took my wife and I fifteen years to dig out of debt. What did I learn? 1. I was not a good manager. 2. Don’t fix it if it isn’t broken Dad’s way worked fine). And biggest of all I was only making bulk honey for my income. That was turned upside down in 1992 when the Chinese dumped 29 cent honey into America. Interesting my Dad ran bees right on till he was 72 while I had to take an hourly job. I am now coming back completely debt free, I refuse to borrow even one dime. My wife went to college in finance and is my built in money manager. I am building a bee business with three sources of income. Honey in still number one because I love working bees to make honey. Three years ago I added in making 5 frame nucs for sale, not as easy as some folks make it out to be. And next year or two I will add in pollination. 2011 I was running 30 hives, 2012 split to 60 hives for me and sold nucs, 2013 split to 120 hives and doubled nucs sold. This year split to 240 hives for me and will sell less nucs. I am using almost all used beehive equipment, used extracting equipment and an old truck that should be replaced. This year will be the hard to keep my hourly job and run the bees to three honey crops (south GA, north GA and NC sourwood). Next year I will have to decide if I leave my hourly job. Just my experience, i'm glad if it helps.
    There is no reality quite like a first hand testimonial. Your honesty is refreshing. Your reminding (or educating) folks about the Chinese honey dumping is right on the mark. It's a big part of the reason I find amusement in hearing how difficult it is, currently, to make a living in the bee business. I can clearly remember just hoping I could find a buyer for our honey at anything resembling a break even price. Virtually the only talk at bee meetings in those years was trying to get the federal government to institute (or retain) price supports. Just 10 years ago almond pollination was bringing around $40 and I was thrilled at the notion that it could help pay some of our spring startup costs. Guess you can't appreciate the good times until you have experienced the bad ones.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I moved the discussion re border issues to it's own thread, in the commercial forum.
    Sheri

Mr. Woods, IMO going into beekeeping for your living is not something you ‘jump’ into. You need to grow into it which will take years not months. Many of the posts here have stated it over and over you need to work with someone already in the business and in the area you want to keep bees in. Excellent advice! Learning beekeeping with today’s set of problems is hard enough with help. Trying to learn beekeeping right by your self is probably impossible. I have a question, do YOU have a love for honeybees? If you don’t just stay out, this advice is not to be cruel it’s just what it takes to have a chance to make it. If all you see are the dollars mark it down you will not make it in beekeeping. Yes there is money to be made in beekeeping or a thousand folks would not be doing it now. But there will be years that something is going to happen and you will make nothing. Maybe you didn’t get the last sentence, some years you will make NOTHING. Without the love of bees you will not have the fortitude to punt and work toward the next season, you will just leave the game. Beekeeping is agriculture so we are subject to; too much rain, too little rain, early freezes, late freezes, too hot, too cool, mites, viruses and a boat load of other things. Now on the other side it is a great way to live, you are close to nature, you are not stuck in a dead end job, it is a great business for the entire family to work together, you get to know lots of other good folks and you will learn what an honest day’s work is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Guess you can't appreciate the good times until you have experienced the bad ones.
    Experiencing contrast is a good teacher.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast