Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you check before you place your hives

I am not a commercial beekeeper.
    I have 14 hives.
    A commercial outfit just placed 19 pallets 500 feet from my hives.
    Do you guys check in before you place your hives if anybody has hives next door?
    What are the ethical ways and what are the governing laws in cases like this?

Default Re: Do you check before you place your hives

Quote Originally Posted by tuzserhu View Post
    I have 14 hives.
    Do you guys check in before you place your hives if anybody has hives next door?
    "You guys"?? There are thousands of commercial beekeepers. Most care, many don't.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have 14 hives.
    If your hives are visible from the road then that's just rude. If not, then nothing wrong was done. I imagine that the beekeeper asked the landowner if they could put bees on the property and may or may not have asked about whether there were other hives in the area. It happens. It has been discussed on beesource before, recently. Maybe, if you can find out the beekeepers name and contact info, the hives will be moved.

Best wishes.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Commercial beeks have many hives inside flight distance of my house. I am not keeping bees here any more.

Oh! Almost forgot... Entrance reducers. I'll only say that once.
    Zone 9b. Second year newb.

Beekeeping, Beekeepers, Are like anyone else, Be they commercial or hobbyist, some are considerate and respectful and some not. But do not be offended, I had a commercial operation at one time. In the guys defense if he could not see your hives, then he did nothing wrong. Remember it really is not his responsibility to scour the area looking for the hives of others. Now if he had to drive right by your hives he is wrong, wrong, wrong! However you will probably never see the guy to discuss it with him. I would have a talk to the property owner, and inform him that you have bees. He probably did not realize that. and will not grant permission to others in the future.

Even in a backwoods place like Arkansas, we have laws, register with the state before you move! This takes care of all these issues.

You've not given near enough information.

Here is an example……we have 3 to 6 trucks running each night, often two loads each. Every location is registered (often for 40 years or more), we have permission or we are pollinating. One of my drivers calls me at 2:00 AM and says "Boss, there are 14 hives setting where you told me to put this load?"…..my (groggy) response is "Set them on top of him and I'll call BLM (or state or Forest Service or….) in the morning. It's not just "Newbie" beeks…..it's "Snowbirds", hunters, RV'ers, hikers, gold miners, gentlemen with Alzheimer's and an occasional impassioned pair of teenagers.

I'm not saying you're right and he's wrong (or visa versa)……just saying it's (possibly) not as simple as your opening post might suggest. Maybe the man has been using the location for years and you're the "Johnny come lately"…..we don't know.

put swarm traps out you may get lucky.if any other thing there good for you especially if you want to breed some queens.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
    Even in a backwoods place like Arkansas, we have laws, register with the state before you move! This takes care of all these issues.
    Does it? Does Arkansas have laws about how close one apiary can be to another? Does someone on the State level tell a new beekeeper where yards already are so they won't put them too close to another apiary?

Good luck I moved a yard because a commercial beek bought a farm a mile from my yard and puts roughly 100 pallets, yes 400 hives, on the property and adjoining land. Instead of getting mad and having my yard starve, I found a new yard, and he has to feed all year long. You go past his place and white buckets are on every hive from April to October.
    Oh and I own the land that my yard was on, but I want a honey crop not starved out hives from took many bees in one spot and fair pasture to begin with.

I think you should keep a cpl of hives at home to see if your assumptions pan out.

Happened to me probably my fault. I just moved my hives. The next new spot I got to put bees, I gave him a call.
    "Hey Mr. Umpteenjazillion Hives I know it's none of my business where your hives are but I don't want to step on your toes. I've got a new spot over yonder is that in your way?"

He told me no problem, told me where his yards were and the dates he would be there. Offered me a good yard he couldn't use and gave me some local insight.

Call him
    If he is a nice guy he'll work with you to give you space. If he's not you'll need to have that space!

Here's how it went I'm betting.... commercial beek to landowner... "can I place hives here".... land owner "sure, place them over by those hives over there...."

Had an issue similar, we put out three truck loads a night. Our bees are in Texas and then we bring them back. Had a beekeeper read my the riot act because he had two colonies stuck down along a creek about 200 yards away on another piece of property. Couldn't even see them. I explained to him that we had been putting bees on the alfalfa field across from him for nearly 35 years. He was a newbie and said I lied because he saw that field in December and there were no bees on it. Tried to explain to him migratory beekeeping and that we had been in 7 counties around him for 37 years. He stayed hostile and just kept calling me a liar. Still won't talk to me today. His loss.

And it gets really complicated when commercials move into other commercials area hah

lots of the comm guys have yards they use for a month or 6 weeks this time of year after almond pollination before they head north. most have had these locations for years and its a big deal to lose one. they might have moved in at night and not seen your hives. like others have said, if they saw your hives they should have stopped, but maybe they did. i would doubt its a permanent yard. ask the land owner about it.

I have 14 hives.
    Thank you for all the input.
    I tried calling the number on the hives but they do not have hives placed there.
    I will try to contact the land owner once I find out who the land belongs to.
    I am not oppose to having the bees there for a short amount of time - it is the end of citrus anyway - just wanted to get the general idea. Actually I am trying to look at the brighter side of it and understand the commercial side of this bee(u)siness.
    They could not have seen my hives since they did not drive far enough on the road. (I do not own the property where my hives are).
    Will be able to get the name of the beek from the landowner later.

thank you all for your ideas and support,

In your location my guess is your bees are on parked in someone else's space. If I were to put down my $5 I would bet that the neighboring yard has been for used a long time before you were even born more or less the years you have kept bees. Some yards in Ojai have been in existence over a hundred years. The old saying about watching your back and watching your hives might be well headed as previously pointed out by long time beeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I think you should keep a cpl of hives at home to see if your assumptions pan out.
    I have thought about it seeing as he is about a mile in one direction which should give my gives at least a mile in the other direction where his bees won't forage to, in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    In your location my guess is your bees are on parked in someone else's space. If I were to put down my $5 I would bet that the neighboring yard has been for used a long time before you were even born more or less the years you have kept bees. Some yards in Ojai have been in existence over a hundred years. The old saying about watching your back and watching your hives might be well headed as previously pointed out by long time beeks.
    Except that I had checked before I placed my hives on this property and there were no other geeks in the area.
    Plus the landowner has been there since the 60's and had another geek prior to my arrival.
    the neighboring yard could have been in use for migratory purposes for short amount of time, but why place the hives there after the citrus flow is over???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast