Default First Swarm Caught!

Just got a massive swarm, at about 4 PM here in the desert of Cali ----- likely 4-5 pound primary swarm!! So excited, first success ever!!

Now will keep an eye on them for aggression over the next several days --- I can handle them fast if I have to, but really hoping they are okay. Was fantastic to watch them come over, after some very heavy courting for several hours today of various boxes!

Have one frame in there with some comb, going to let them settle in so I can 'test' the temper, then if alls well move the frame to a box.

Default Re: First Swarm Caught!

Thanks!!

Any advice on how to go about this relocating them to a regular hive box? My apiary is just like 100 feet or so away --- they cant really stay in the swarm box .... I was thinking just move the frame, once they settle, but I know they will make tons of comb everywhere else too if I wait too long!

Everybody's different, but I would go ahead and move them tonight...it sounds like you got the whole swarm. I'd close them up in a deep, or two, worth of boxes, along with some drawn comb, if you've got it. I'd add syrup and leave them closed up for a day or two, putting something (branch, grass, etc.) in front of the entrance to make sure they orient to their new home when you choose to release them. I prefer to release them right before dark, hoping they don't have time to fly off and enjoy another night in their new home.

Move them tonight before they orient on the swarm box!

Drawn comb, especially brood comb, should keep them there -- you will know tomorrow if they orient on the hive. They will start drawing new comb and the queen will start laying in that drawn comb as soon as the bees can get it prepared (by tomorrow, likely).

I got a swarm like that a couple years ago, and they drew out four frames of comb and filled it with nectar in two days.

Peter

Thanks guys, we're gonna suit up and move the frame out of there tonight, add a feeder and a branch and grass in front of the hive!

Thanks for the advice!

LOL well not ONE bee was on the frame, instead they were in the box and hanging on the lid --- made things prettttttty interesting but my friend and I got them hived---- because it got so wild so fast, and not what we expected, we wound up putting them in the bottom box with foundation and drawn comb, and then a queen excluder on top of that, a feeder lid --- and a shallow with a feeder on that.

Wild night, but the main entry is screened, hope they calm down they were pretty feisty but not at all 'hot', just rightfully unhappy haha.