Default Swarm Cells Starting in Louisville, Ky

Swarm cells being drawn out in Louisville, larva look 3-4 days old. Drones are beginning to fly.

Hives are looking great.

Default Re: Swarm Cells Starting in Louisville, Ky

I guess it may be time to put out some swarm traps????

I put a few out, typically peak of swarm season here is May , Maple bloom has been very good the strong hives were able to build up nicely and are in swarm mode.

Here in louisville temps/bloom/timing is more in line with the southern part of the state.

Im wondering what cleo or psfred are seeing?

I split 12 hives Tuesday and Wednesday. Saw lots and lots of drones. Lots more capped drone brood. Only found one capped queen cell. No uncapped.

Most surprised at the amount of honey left over in the hives. Lots and lots of honey left over. Lots of frames half full of fresh nectar.

I lost 5 of 85. I have been in Florida and have not fed any, don't see any good reason to feed now, (except the nucs I made up on Tuesday and Wednesday). Hives have full frames of capped brood, all stages.

This week is going to slow them down. Our highs will only be in upper 50's, and lower 60's. Won't be any splitting this week.

Swarming appears to be a good ways off yet, where I am.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a package of bees, you might call Kelly Bee early on Monday. When they closed at noon today they had 3, 3 pound packages left. ( 1 is marked Italian, 2 are marked Russian) They will go early, so, if anyone is looking for a package you might call them early.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 04-05-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add info.

I also noticed that I've got a lot of honey left over.
    Most of my hives has not been touched in 6-7 years,Due to work(not home much),But now i'm trying to build them back up.
    Anyway the last few weekends I've noticed they are full of honey,Most has 2 deep's & 1 super, The super's are full & also a lot in the brood,
    1st time I've seen that much,Mark,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    I split 12 hives Tuesday and Wednesday. Saws lots and lots of drones. Lots more capped drone brood. Only found one capped queen cell. No uncapped.

Most surprised at the amount of honey left over in the hives. Lots and lots of honey left over. Lots of frames half full of fresh nectar.
    Same here cleo, surplus honey + alot of fresh nectar. The strong hives have plenty of fuzzy drones just starting to fly. Tommorow I"ll split out the queens in large hives, let them draw emergency cells, then maybe split those cells out into nucs once capped.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    Same here cleo, surplus honey + alot of fresh nectar. The strong hives have plenty of fuzzy drones just starting to fly. Tommorow I"ll split out the queens in large hives, let them draw emergency cells, then maybe split those cells out into nucs once capped.
    Not here I have lost 17 of 30 all but 4 had starved the 4 had plenty of stores but must have ran out during real cold snap and were not able to move.