Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: My TF Trial is over - for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Mine is here:
    http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/h...ng_places.html

roll the page down, little under half way,under Finland
    Checked it out Juhani a good pic, and somehow, you do look how you sound on the forum.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    Yes, if he has any bees it would be good to see some recent photographs of Mike working his bees, maybe a you tube film or two.
    This could be said of nearly anyone here. In fact where are you photos and videos?
    Threads go poorly because to many people make poor posts. I have posted form my experience and what I have seen in my bees. or what I have read in the very books it was suggested I read and gotten the exact same response from the members of this group. So it is not about someone making unsupported comments. it is about anyone that is not approved to make comments making any at all. In fact that was the answer I got when it happened to me. I was told they just did not like someone with not enough experience posting. So I asked them to point out what in my post was not accurate or correct. they could not offer one thing. They had no problem with any point my post had made. they only had a problem that I was the one posting it.

Not many people that post anything here can prove that it works. certainly not anything to do with treatment free.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    In fact where are you photos and videos?
    To be fair, check his profile. There is a link to his web site with plenty of pics, pretty sure he exists.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

This is me demonstrating at a queen rearing training day last summer.

http://nihbs.org/wp-content/uploads/...Assessment.jpg

Someone needs to buy the guy at the back a washing machine!

jonathan, interesting deep there. Strongback and handle in one piece. Fewer frames in deep than medium?
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Saltybee
    It wasn't my equipment, I was just demonstrating at the event.
    Most people in Ireland use British national size rather than Langs so I think from memory that is what it was.
    They measure 18 1/8 inch square and take 11 frames which have a brood area of 14 inches by 8 inches.
    The supers take frames 14 inches by 5 inches approx, depending upon spacing there can be 8-11 in there.

Pete/Beeuk will tell you exactly. He makes them in his business.
    Last edited by jonathan; 04-10-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post

I hope that helps.

Mike (UK).
    Very nice pictures. Thanks. I now retract my doubts as to the existence of your bees. I like the homemade nuc closures.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    If the picture of this is like a upside down pyramide, the row with the smallest bees being the longest, the bees were damaged by varroa most likely. If the overall picture resembles a pyramide shape, the row with the bigger bees being the longest, mites weren't the problem.
    I imagine this was written with a big grin on your face as well.
    Regards, Barry

No. Being serious, it is a well known method over here.

Some pictures of a course teaching the method:
    http://www.imkerverein-greven.de/ind...falsch-gemacht

If you have something in English that is a true study, I'd love to read it. I find dead winter bees to be a poor specimen. There are many elements that can affect the dead bee.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Very nice pictures. Thanks. I now retract my doubts as to the existence of your bees. I like the homemade nuc closures.
    They work well, but you have to watch out for them dropping if you have them half closed. I'f I have a vulnerable colony in I close them down trapping a piece of stick at the sort of diameter I think appropriate. Its not ideal - I suspect they guard one side while wasps and bees sneak in the other. Its easy to pin mesh across the front which seems to help.

Last year I bought a lot of sawn wet cedar, air dried it, and made about 10 improved versions. These are a tad wider, allowing a division board, and have two entrances at the front and one at the back. I can divide the contents anytime I think they're ready and add a queen cell or let them raise their own queen.

The floors are fixed, and I always make a note of colonies that keep them nice and clean. I also made deep roofs, and they hunker down well over winter. I'll take some photos when I get hold of a camera.

Mike (UK)
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

So you have a workshop with sawbench etc? Everything looks home made.

Barry, in Europe they spend hundreds of millions of Euros on varroa research. Unfortunately it all goes into studies like: what is the varroa resistance gene? and the like. Nothing down-to-earth or practical. At least one electric device that beeps and blinks/flashes has to be involved in a decent study. You won't find a pratical approach like the one described in recently published studies. It is a pitty. Beekeepers are own their own to develop hands-on solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    Are they 'doing it all' WLC? To my mind tf involves a successful reproductive cycle. You have to be able to make replacement bees - successfully, and on an ongoing basis - to call yourself a beekeeper.

Otherwise they're just pets. And there's a good chance you're undermining local development of standalone bees.

Mike (UK)
    How about you Mike, have you bred any replacement queens, successfully and on an ongoing basis, so that you can call yourself a beekeeper?

If so, how many?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    Hmm..Never would of guessed that.
    Tim, that's what I was thinking. And although I read through this topic pretty quick, it doesn't seem that anyone else commented on this.
    All 5 of my 3-4 deeps made it through the winter here in N.Tx. I often wonder what the definition of a treatment free hive or colony is, in terms of size and believe a lot of TF beekeepers give up because they can't keep a TF single deep or nuc alive. I am new here and don't post very often, so I'm not familiar with everyone's operations. How many practice unlimited brood nests, small cell, 3 deeps or more, local mated queens,
    and no artificial feeds?

Thanks,
    Mike in N. Tx.

I'm trying to follow Tim's hive configuration, etc. .

3 deeps certainly didn't hurt. Not really small cell, though I had them in the lowest super. BeeWeavers from Texas, so no locally mated queens. I'm not opposed to artificial feed, but I have a super of honey in reserve for each colony when I'm ready to 'light the fuse'.

I think I lost a lot of bees this winter to the cold. So, I lost some initial momentum.

I'll have to wait to see how things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I think I lost a lot of bees this winter to the cold. So, I lost some initial momentum.
    How many out of how many did you loss WLC? What did you find in the hives to lead you to believe that cold killed them and not starvation or something else?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Sqkcrk:

I've seen piles of dead bees on the bottom board this winter, but they've since cleaned them up.

Both hives look fine now, but I found a wind blown pile of bees, and a wide streak of dead bees leading to the pile. It looked like it came from my 'best' hive. This was in March.

There was a warm up, then a cold snap that coincided with it. They were flying just the week before that.

Right now, the night time temps are still below 50 degrees F.

It's almost May, and the Callery pears are STILL in bloom.

Things have been pushed back a few weeks.

So, I've got to roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wissler View Post
    How many practice unlimited brood nests, small cell, 3 deeps or more, local mated queens, and no artificial feeds?
    Thanks,
    Mike in N. Tx.
    I've successfully overwintered everything from tiny nucs to double brood box hives through a record cold and a record wet winter successively. Mind our record cold isn't that cold at all - minus 8 max - it just went on being cold a long time. I keep entrances small and hives dryish, and don't use foundation - just starter strip. I feed syrup in the autunm if they're light. (If they don't have a good excuse for being light they're marked down for re-queening). They're all local swarms and cut-outs or raised from from those initial stock and mated in places I think are sensible to mate bees that I want to be self-sufficient health wise.

I can't help thinking the free celling might be making a difference.

Mike UK
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast