Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: My TF Trial is over - for the time being

>Do likewise and these threads will take a turn for the better.

There was a poster on another beekeeping forum using the same name and employing the same technique. He was eventually ignored, but reincarnated here.
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    For all we know, he doesn't actually have any bees. I for one would like to see at least one picture of Mike's beeyard.
    Yes, if he has any bees it would be good to see some recent photographs of Mike working his bees, maybe a you tube film or two.

To be fair, my face doesn't appear (unobscured) in any of my pictures on my website that I am aware of. And the one picture that does have part of my face was actually taken at Michael Bush's place in Nebraska.

http://parkerfarms.biz/equipment.html#The_Top_Bar_Hive

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    The colony that survived was in three deeps.
    Hmm..Never would of guessed that.

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    Yes, if he has any bees it would be good to see some recent photographs of Mike working his bees, maybe a you tube film or two.
    You horrible suspicious people.

Recent I can't help with. I'll get you some new ones when I can borrow a camera. I know that sounds lame but I don't have one at the moment. No, not even a camera phone. That's the sort of thing that can happen when you sell your house, buy some land and try to build a business without any capital. I barely have a car.

Here's some old ones - 2011 and 2012. They show my early mating hive block and some outstands. The top one, showing a few hives to the right under a long hedge, is now the site of a new working area, and there are 15 hives in that field.

bbw.jpg

Jon's Hives 2012.jpg

bbs aug 2012.JPG

swarm june 2012.jpg

mating hives sept 2011.jpg

piet june 2012.jpg

This is my record sheet. I'll be completing checks today (the blank ones, number 10 in column A - a priority column used for sorting.)

bee records apr 2014.pdf

I couldn't work out how to display spreadsheets so a tried a pdf. It looks like you might have to download it.

I hope that helps.

Mike (UK)

PS I don't know how that attached thumbnail got there. I can't figure out how to get rid of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mike bispham; 04-10-2014 at 01:31 AM.
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    I don't read Mike's posts much any more. He seems excessively relentless to me. He takes over threads, pounds the polemic pedal way too hard, and ends up saying nothing new. This thread is a good example; it isn't about Mike. It's about Andrew and his decision.
    What happens is that I say something, and then people leap on me from all directions, and the thread becomes about me. I dislike it as much as you do. But I've stopped reading the worst offenders, and that seems to be helping. Hopefully before too long we'll be able to have conversations about raising resistance.

Most of the threads I post on btw are started by me, with a specific question to address, and I do try to return to topic from time to time.

What I'd like to see is a detailed account of how Andrew set up and ran through his tf experiment. that way we could try to see what might have gone wrong, which might just be helpful to him in future and helpful to others wanting to do tf beekeeping. Any chance Andrew?

Mike (UK)
    Last edited by mike bispham; 04-10-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Andrew posted enough info to make a good guess what happened to his bees. A large component was wintering failure that does not appear to be connected to mites.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Andrew posted enough info to make a good guess what happened to his bees. A large component was wintering failure that does not appear to be connected to mites.
    One further thought: Andrew wrote:

"These were BeeWeaver Bees started from Packages in 2012 and their descendants."

That 'descendents' ... on the queen side yes, but how much of a chance to inherit mite management behaviours did the offspring get on the drone side?

Whether or not that had anything to do with the result, its a question tf and prospective tf beekeepers can think about. I think if you don't have ferals - Andrew thinks he doesn't - who've made a start on resistance, its worth making a well planned effort to maintain it in offspring of bought resistant bees.

Mike (UK)

In a deadout you won't find too many mites. To find out if it was mites or something different, do the following.

Take a good cup full of dead bees and sort them by their body size. The smallest bees go to the upmost row, the biggest bees to the lowest row. You end up with say five rows of dead bees. If the picture of this is like a upside down pyramide, the row with the smallest bees being the longest, the bees were damaged by varroa most likely. If the overall picture resembles a pyramide shape, the row with the bigger bees being the longest, mites weren't the problem.

Good way to find out mite problems in a deadout. You also should check the ceiling of the cells, if there is whiteish stuff, this is varroa faeces. The more cells have it, the more mites the colony has had.

Very interesting Bernhard never thought of that, always something new to learn!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I liked your pics Mike, somehow, they are pretty much how I imagined your operation. Those frames, they home made?

But hey this -
    Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    You horrible suspicious people.
    Suspicious? LOL that is rather funny. You want suspicious try this

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    So the question: 'why is OT being so dumb?' cannot be resolved by the explanation: 'he is dumb'.....

And then there's the third hypothesis: OT isn't a 'someone' at all. He's a compound, several different people all working together toward the same end.....

It also fits with the odd reluctance to discuss any feature of your own beekeeping. There is no 'you'.
    You horrible suspicious person LOL.

You can actually see the OT "compound", there's 2 videos right here on Beesource.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I liked your pics Mike,

You can actually see the OT "compound", there's 2 videos right here on Beesource.
    Maybe we should start a thread introdusing ourselves. Videos and pictures...and put a special rule that this thred can be answered only when there is picture attached with the beekeeper in front and the hives behind. Beekeeper in picture should carry a clearly visible sign " I do exist, I can take part in beekeeping discussion in BeeSource."
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

Scary. Whenever I see a pic of someone here they are usually totally different than I imagined.

Mike, you can see a movie of the OT compound here, partly concealed behind a bee veil of course!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Nest&highlight

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    ...picture attached with the beekeeper in front and the hives behind.
    Is not enough. Must be half-naked when working the bees to be a beekeeper. Take your stings.

Scary. Whenever I see a pic of someone here they are usually totally different than I imagined.

Mike, you can see a movie of the OT compound here, partly concealed behind a bee veil of course!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Nest&highlight
    You don´t look old Alastair! Is that your name? Beautiful Australian accent!
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

Call him by his 'Oldtimer' handle. It's against etiquette to call him by his first name, unless he's cool with it.

OT is fine, abbreviations are pretty commonly used saves typing.

Where's your pic WLC?

OT is fine, abbreviations are pretty commonly used saves typing.

Where's your pic WLC?
    Mine is here:
    http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/h...ng_places.html

roll the page down, little under half way,under Finland

OT:

Although I bought a new camera, I'm not a shutterbug anymore. I've completely lost interest in taking photos.

Thought as much I was just messin' with ya WLC.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast