Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: My TF Trial is over - for the time being

[QUOTE=mike bispham;1097273 I keep entrances small and hives dryish, and don't use foundation - just starter strip.

I can't help thinking the free celling might be making a difference.

Mike UK[/QUOTE]

Same here, using 4.9mm starter strips. Usually cutting full sheets of deep into 4ths. I recently started wiring the frames, especially those 3rd and 4th boxes for extraction purposes.
    Do you practice using the housel positioning of the foundation when placing the frames?

And WLC, just to clarify, I do have some single and double deeps that overwintered, from last year's splits and swarms, but they have not built up like the 3-4 deeps did this spring. I am trying to build up "honey production hives" at least 3 deep going into the following winter. It just seems they cope better with weather, pests and other variables. Thank you for the replies and good luck to everyone this Spring.

Mike in N. Tx

Quote Originally Posted by wissler View Post
    Do you practice using the housel positioning of the foundation when placing the frames?
    I only leave some 1/2" of wax strip, often odd ends, just to give them the hint. It seems enough. I don't look at the housel business.

Thank you for the replies and good luck to everyone this Spring.
    And to you Mike

Mike (UK)
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Not me either, I have not found the wild hives I've looked at practising it so why would I practise it?

Please read http://talkingstick.me/bees/housel-positioning/
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Thanks for the link Oldtimer. When doing cutouts and swarms with comb under the eaves of houses, I've often noticed the so-called "Y's" in the comb start tilting to one side in more of a spherical configuration around the center of the combs. I'm not sure about how much the housel positioning in man-made foundation affects the way a hive draws out comb or the location of brood, which is why I like using the starter strips. The bees can adapt and change as they see fit. But that's the way I start them out and have seen them start tilting the orientation in the hives as well.

I think that has more to do with the way it suits them to start building the combs, than the necessity of housel position. I too will see what you say, but as often as not they do not build in a way consistent with housel theory. However, if someone wants to do it there is little harm in it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567