Default Does smoke scorched wood affect bees?

For a couple of years, I kept bees in a top bar hive. Long story short, it didn't work for me. Late last season, I tried to move my bees into a couple of Langstroths, and ended up loosing my bees before winter.

I have 3 deep boxes and I will be picking up my new nuc in a few weeks. Last weekend, I gave my equipment a look over. The two boxes that were in the sun (the bee yard) were fine. The one box that was left, with a little wax, in the shady carport was infested with SHB (truth out there, I actually thought it was wax moth, but I saw a SHB. Maybe it was both, I'm not sure). It was fine when I looked at it a month ago, but destroyed by last weekend. What a mess.

It was such a mess, I decided to burn it. Most of what was burned when into the trash, but the top and the queen excluder weren't so bad. I gave them a once over above the fire just in case there were eggs or something left behind that might cause problems later. I did the same with a couple of frames.

So I have several pieces that are slightly scorched. Not burned, but darkened and scorched, like a perfectly toasted marshmallow.

My question is, will the bees respond to this negatively? Would the smell of the wood give them the idea that there is a forest fire?

If so, what should I do? Should I ditch the equipment, or use it and "lock" the queen in the box for a while using a queen excluder on the top and nailing some hardwire cloth to the entrance?

I am getting my new nuc soon and it would be awful if they absconded because I put them in a smelly box that offended them. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Default Re: Does smoke scorched wood affect bees?

I have used scorched boxes several times and never had a problem. I would say go for it.
    Dave

People scorch hives on purpose to make them pretty. Lauri does her's that way and they are the best looking hives I've ever seen.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

People have scorched the inside of boxes for more than a century to kill AFB spores. I would never burn equipment for any reason other than AFB. No reason not to clean it up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Well fabulous. We are all set for a new season.

Michael, I've been watching your videos this morning. I have converted the frames with popsicle sticks and am going to try the Langstroth without foundations. The nuc I am buying will have 5 frames with foundation. I'll put them in my slightly scorched hive box with the remaining frames with popsicle sticks and am anxious to have a better experience this time around.