Default Ethanol problems

I run a gas powered pump to feed bees. I seem to have continual problems with ethanol causing rust and weird deposits in my gas tank and carburetor. I have tried using high test and various additives. Does anyone see a difference in winter and summer blends of gas on small engines? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am on the look-out for non-ethanol gas.

Default Re: Ethanol problems

don't marine/boat motors need stuff added to them to prevent that sorta thing. maybe try one of those. Sta-bil and that sorta thing. i know they always plug that stuff on fishing shows haha

stabil has a a special ethanol blend, but I don;t use it. For anything that goes into a gas can, i always add stabil (who knows how long it'll be till you need that chainsaw again?) and recreational fuel.

What you're looking far will either be called "rec. gas" or "non-oxygenated" fuel. Usually a few places in a county will have it, but it's usually only to be had in "premium" 92/93 octane. If you've got a lot of boat traffic nearby, check with gas stations near the boat launches. Another place to check is with fleet & farm outfits that sell fuel. A good number of fleet & farms in the midwest sell it.

The only other line of inquiry i can recommend is talking with a classic car club. those guys that love their old cars hate new fuels and they might be able to help you locate it.

good luck

It is not your imagination! The new blended fuels cause a lot more formation of gum and corrosion. It also attacks some of the older equipment hoses, gaskets and even their plastic fuel tanks. Hotter weather intensifies the process. Use the aftermarket fuel stabilizers or premium blend fuels on anything you are not using regularly. Many of the cheapy homeowner power equip has non serviceable carbs.

There is a site that lists gas stations around the US that sell "ethanol-free" gasoline. This page shows those in North Carolina:

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=NC
    and there are 4 stations shown in Raleigh, which isn't that far from Louisburg. There may be some closer if you are familiar with the smaller towns listed.

In some stations, only selected pumps are ethanol-free, so make sure you check before pumping.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

We use AVgas in our vintage Cessna 172 and it does not have ethanol. I know they use it in some race cars, too. Can get it at any airport. Do not know if its OK for your use, maybe too hot. Check out www.pure-gas.org for a list of gas stations that have ethanol free gas. They also have apps you can get to help you find a station near you.
    South Florida, 9 hives, 2 nuc, no treatments, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

I use VP Small Engine Fuel in all of my small gas engines. It is made by a company that makes racing fuel. It has a shelf life of several years and doesn't contain ethanol. They make it for 2 and 4 cycle engines. It costs quite a bit more than regular gas but the lack of headaches is well worth the extra price. What I really like it for is engines that are going to sit such as my generator and bee blower. I only use my bee blower once a year. Normally I would have to tear the carb apart every year to get it running but I haven't had to do that since switching gas. Normally it will start on the first pull. I get it at my local chainsaw and lawnmower shop. The owner of the shop sells ethanol test kits so you can test the amount of ethanol in your fuel. He said they are seeing gas that should not contain ethanol that actually does.

Ethanol has been wrecking havoc on small engines for years now. I have a friend who owns a landscaping buisness, you do not want to hear his opinion on ethanol unless you like hearing a lot of cursing. The good news is ethanol-free gas is getting easier to find. I now have 2 stations in my area that offer it, a couple of years ago I could not find it anywhere.

Sold Out Re: Ethanol problems

Quote Originally Posted by larrybeach View Post
    Ethanol has been wrecking havoc on small engines for years now. I have a friend who owns a landscaping buisness, you do not want to hear his opinion on ethanol unless you like hearing a lot of cursing. The good news is ethanol-free gas is getting easier to find. I now have 2 stations in my area that offer it, a couple of years ago I could not find it anywhere.
    Thanks and shout out to ADM, corporate mega farms, K-Street, all our congressmen, EPA and ex-EPA folks that work as lobbyist to keep our gas impure and adulterated!

Cessnagirl - I used to buy 100 low lead for my Nazi hot rod(Turbo aircooled VW), but around here they are getting hesitant to sell Avgas to a motor vehicle due to road tax issues.

Crazy Roland

Ethanol causes delamination of fiberglass gas tanks in pleasure boats which has been subject of much litigation. There is ethanol free gas locally located close to marinas and the paths to them.

If you have a taste for danger, consider this. Local gas is 10% ethanol. The gas treatment to get water out of your fuel system is ethanol. Water and ethanol chemically combine. Just reverse the process. I have heard of people pouring lots of water into gas containers and shaking it. The water pulls the ethanol to the bottom. Just pour the ethanol free gas off the top. Of course, anyone who does this has to assume all the risks of this possibly dangerous operation.

if the engine is headed for storage for more than a month and a half, when you last use your small engine run it out of gas to empty the carburetor, run the tank dry or shut the gas off. drain the gas tank leave the cap off to let the tank dry for a day or 2. spray in a small amount of penetrating oil or clean kerosene and slosh it around. with the spark plug out put a little oil in the cylinder, turn the fuel valve on and turn the thing over enough to oil stuff up. you are ready for storage.... if you pour a little of your gas in a saucer and let it sit a couple of hours and it starts to get cloudy it is no good especialy for a 2 cycle engine. use the bad gas up by mixing it with good and use it up in an old tractor or something like that. ethanol blend gas can go bad in about 6 weeks even with good storage... as stated try and find ethenol free ,try not to use it's first cousin dry gas [methenol], and prep your engine for storage. sta-bil is a good idea for gas on hand. unfortunately you might get bad cloudy gas at the gas station. .. a pain to do this stuff but easier than tearing stuff apart later and waiting for little parts to come from god knows where.

Ever considered converting to propane? Fuel cost are about the same, burns cleaner & no ethanol problems. Just a thought.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I believe the Jiffy Ice Auger is made in Wisconsin, and has a propane option. Our concern was hauling the gas bee blower in an enclosed truck with honey supers. We have never had an issue, but the propane would solve the problem.

I actually dream of a turbo diesel bee blower, but I guy has to earn the rights to keep his name.

Crazy Roland

P.S. my VW van is a turbo diesel.

Small town airports, just go by and fill two 5 gallon cans of AV-gas, 100LL. Tell them you are getting fuel for a friend's plane that is landed on a dirt strip/county road to pick you up. This stuff will run fine in weedeaters, lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc., and other pieces of equipment. Just treat it like old style gasoline before the ethanol was added. This stuff can be set in a shaded place as in a good closed container, lasts for several years. Got a friend that was running it in his personel equipment before he retired in 2003 and he is still running the same equipment today.

Or look into Sea Foam, it is used quite a bit in marine applications for this issue.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 3 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

X2 on the sea foam, You never know what kind of crappy gas your getting, but a couple ounces of seafoam to the 5 gallon can and your covered. I cranked a chainsaw this past Christmas on 3 pulls that had been put up with E10 and seafoam in the tank and carbs since the previous Christmas.

Aviation gasoline is absolutely alcohol-free (the FAA takes a very dim view of ethanol). Problem is, while 100 LL avgas doesn't have MUCH lead in it, it has some and so by the strict letter of the law it is supposed to be only for aircraft.

There are no-lead avgas formulations, but they're not sold much. Cessna-Girl's vintage 172 can only use it if various engine parts have been upgraded. No-lead is rough on older valves. Most FBO's only maintain one type of avgas, so they want to carry a type all their gas customers can use. I used to see the local racers sneaking in to the airport to buy it for their drag racers.

Avgas would not be "too hot", but 100 octane is total overkill for most small engines. And the price will bring tears to your eyes.

OTOH, my 1993 Dodge Dakota is in the shop right now for a new fuel pump. I suspect gasohol is at the root of the problem. $600 repair, maybe due to water in the gas and consequent separation of gasoline and alcohol.

I use only ethanol free in my small engines after having many problems. I found it in my area using pure-gas.org as someone has already stated. Not every grade is ethanol free. I also test any new source. Testing is simple: put a couple ounces of gas in a small jar and add a couple drops of food coloring, then shake it up for a couple of minutes and let it sit. If the gas is colored the gas contains alcohol. If the food coloring is broken into tiny droplets in the bottom of the container there is no alcohol present.