Default JZBZ queen cage and attendants?

Can you ship attendant bees with the queen in a JZBZ queen cage? Also if the queen is going to be out for just a few days, do you even need attendants? It seems to be like a lot of folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage, no matter what the type used.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Default Re: JZBZ queen cage and attendants?

Anything more than a few hours and the queen needs attendants to keep her fat and sassy. JZBZ queen care are the plastic ones? I've put attendants in those, not much different from shoving them in a wooden cage.

I get a couple of queens a year in jzbz cages. Normally there's two attendants in with the queen, and a couple of dozen loose in the larger orange box. Mine have always arrived as rweakley said "fat and sassy".

Absolutely. I routinely see 4 attendants in the JZBZ cages. I don't understand your the comment "folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage" Seems to me like a good way to insure a dead queen. Now, if you're talking about introduction, then yes, many remove the attendants prior to introduction (a good idea), but shipping or just held outside of a colony attendants are a must (IMO).

Just my 2 cents
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

>Can you ship attendant bees with the queen in a JZBZ queen cage?

Yes.

> Also if the queen is going to be out for just a few days, do you even need attendants?

More than a couple of hours, you need attendants.

> It seems to be like a lot of folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage, no matter what the type used.

No need for them in a package, there are 12,000 attendants... No need in a battery box, there are a hundred attendants... But a queen in a cage has to have attendants and candy to live.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks everybody. Got my answer, so glad we have a forum like this.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.