Default Craig's list..a beekeepers best friend.

Beekeepers have got to be some of the most frugal (a.k.a. cheap) people I know. Looking at the last tread about plywood supers, I called to check on plywood prices for some nucs. At $18 a sheet, at 84 lumber, I thought was a little high. I then look on Craig's list and find a guy 15 miles for me selling it a $7 a sheet. I am also in the process of palletizing my operation. I look on Craig's list again and find folks just want someone to haul their extra pallets away for nothing, or pallets for as little as $3 a piece. Anyone else out there check Craig's list before the Mann Lake catalog?
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Default Re: Craig's list..a beekeepers best friend.

A few weeks ago I got a whole pile of 2x4s and 1.5 sheets of plywood free from a guy who couldn't store it in his new place. Made 2 nucs out of the plywood so far and used some of the 2x4s to make frames. I can get free pallets from behind the Ace hardware down the street.

You would be surprised how much can be repurposed to beekeeping equipment. I have been fortunate to find all kinds of equipment on CL.

brand new 9 frame motorized extractor from Brushy Mtn., uncapping pans for $500.

I sell a few nucs, do removals and sell honey on craigslist so I advertise, guy called me wanting to sell....yep, craigslist is good!

Who you calling cheap?!!!! I'm thrifty. LOL I always look for a deal on everything. I went to the lumber store to buy some spruce 1x12x12's to make nucs and a couple deep hive bodies from. That's where I found the plywood scraps so I bought 30 of them and 3 spruce planks. I intended to buy 6 pieces of the spruce but after finding the plywood I cut down to 3 of them. While I was talking to the 2 guys at the counter about making beehives, the older one told the younger one who was making my bill to knock the spruce planks down to $16.50 from $18.85. I can make 2 deeps from one board so I will have $8.25 per deep in those 6 deeps. I can't buy premium grade deeps anywhere near that cheap from anywhere I know of. I can cut out 6 deeps in about 30 minutes.

it may be just me but I have never had any luck with craigslist. we have spent a ton of money on gas chasing down stuff my wife found though.

cheap is good FREE is better, I have found some good stuff on CL cheap too
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

this just showed up on my local craigs today...havent been to actually look at what all he has....not sure if I will either.....dont need to bring anything home to my bees.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/grd/4397542210.html

need to go look at that, lots of new stuff still in the box.

Most of the materials we use to build bee stuff is reclaimed from trash piles.

Got my Kelley extractor at one third of list from Craigs; got the hot knife cheap too!

50/50 for me and Craig's List, I've found some real deals both free and purchased. I've done well selling "certain items at certain times of the year", BUT I've also been scammed once and a guy cased and broke into my barn once. My sister caught up with the scammer 2 days later and scammed her back. The break in was caught on camera and I got a real clear still of the truck's plate, the county sheriff caught him 6 miles from my house. Too funny, my dog alerted me to something, I looked out and caught a glimpse of a fender by the back door of the barn, ducked back into the house, flipped on the monitors, and there he was. I was laughing as I called the sheriff.

glue saws planes and a nail puller can turn pallets into hive boxes, cutting boards, kayaks and a lot of other cool stuff, but it takes time not money so much. If Craig's list gets you to the supplies cheap or free, more power to ya.