Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default "...Neonicotinoid Insecticides in Wetlands of Canada." Paper in PLOSOne.

Christy Morrissey is the ecotoxicologist who sounded the alarm on neonicotinoid contaminated wetlands in Canada:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0092821

Default Re: "...Neonicotinoid Insecticides in Wetlands of Canada." Paper in PLOSOne.

Anytime you attach ECO to a word it loses all credibility. Makes you wonder who paid her to find what she says she found and who drew the conclusions. Not applauding the compound as I do not know enough about it. Just saying I do know enough about people attaching ECO to their credentials. They are corrupt almost always.

Default Re: "...Neonicotinoid Insecticides in Wetlands of Canada." Paper in PLOSOne.

As far as I have been told, she is legit
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Right, because only nutjobs care to study ecosystems, and the vast amounts of power and wealth to be had in studying ecology is sure to corrupt everyone who pursues the path...
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

She's an environmental scientist.

I would characterize the numbers she's reporting as being at a background level.

Frankly, I was expecting that she had found much higher levels of neonics from all of the previous hubbub.

I heard that she aquired most of her experience studying the wetlands of SE Alberta before she moved east.

From a beekeeping perspective, she would have to have detected neonic concentrations that were 1,000 to 10,000 times what she has found for anyone to be concerned.

While it may be a Canadian drinking water standards issue, I wouldn't call it a cause for concern for beekeepers.

A toxicologist is someone who understands the effect that a substance and its metabolites can have on an organism. An ecotoxicologist is someone who understands the effects that a substance and its decomposition products can have on an ecosystem. Sure, I can see how some might use the "eco" to trump things up, but the field of study in this case is legit. Sometimes terminology does mean something.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I would characterize the numbers she's reporting as being at a background level.
    What does a "background level of neonicotinoids" means? I would think since neonicotinoids do not occur naturally in the environment, there should be no "background level"?
    Last edited by shinbone; 03-27-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    What does a "background level of neonicotinoids" means? I would think since neonicotinoids do not occur naturally in the environment, there is no "background level"?
    Agreed. And if we consider how quickly these molecules tend to break down when exposed to light, the levels detected are but the tip of the iceburg. It also suggests a chronic poisoning.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

the question still is,what are the sub lethal effects of neonic's on bees, humans and the rest of the environment?

"While it may be a Canadian drinking water standards issue" SO it its not good for humans but ok for bees or anything else?

The game plan for the suppliers of these pesticides seems to be , to bring new poisons on to the market quicker , thereby nobody sees the effects the older pesticides have been having in the long term.They are quick untested solutions...just my opinion

Irwin, these neonic canola seed treatments replaced Counter-5-G. The effects of Counter-5-G had already been seen, the reason why they pulled that chemical off the market and replaced it with these Neonics. Pretty much all canola used over the last 15 or 20 years has been treated with clothianidin or thiamethoxam. I have only heard complaints about Neonic seed treated canola this past year or so.
    So lets ban clothianidin and thiamethoxam canola seed treatments. Then I go on a broadcast spray campaign every spring, there will be no place to hide and the country side will be absolutely DEAD. With neonics I have animal life within my field rows.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Sorry guys, but we all live in an ecosystem. This is not a made up word, but a scientific term.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmango View Post
    Sorry guys, but we all live in an ecosystem. This is not a made up word, but a scientific term.
    the point that was being made was "eco" has turned into one of those buzz words,
    yesterday I bought some eco green toilet paper... what the heck does that mean???
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I read the report and I am surprised the levels are that low.

I was driving by a grass farm last week and saw a sign that stated, "eco turf for sale." i have no idea what eco turf is.

I'm a petroleum engineer, and I drilled several shallow wells and tested them for absolute flow capacity. It was done to procure a uranium mining permit. I signed and stamped my reports as a professional engineer, but the mining company listed me as an eco scientist in their brochures. Of course, their brochures were designed to promote investors, and I surmised that they thought eco scientist trumped professional engineer.

It is for sure a buzz word.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    I read the report and I am surprised the levels are that low.
    Anytime I see data reported to the nanogram (0.000000001 of a gram), I have to laugh, out loud, hysterically..
    Last edited by Nabber86; 03-27-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Anytime I see data reported to the nanogram (0.000000001 of a gram), I have to laugh, out loud, hysterically..
    Why?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

I use measurments in the nanogram range literally every day. Never really saw the humor in it, personally.

Is nanogram a measure of weight or volume? It's really small at one-billionth of gram.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast