Default Bottom Board, Inner Cover, and Outer Cover Assembly questions

I was wondering if someone could help me with some questions about my first hive assembly.

Bottom Board:
    There are two sides. One side is smoother that the other. Does the smooth side or rough side face up? I am assuming smooth so water will run out.
    When the sides are attached to the bottom board should there be 1/2 inch up leaving a 1/2 inch opening for the bees to enter or 3/4 inch up leaving a 3/4 entrance for the bees?

Inner Cover:
    Same questions essentially. Smooth side up or down? 1/2 inch on top or 1/4 inch?

Outer cover:
    Smooth side facing up or down.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Bottom Board, Inner Cover, and Outer Cover Assembly questions

On the bottom board the 3/4" lip goes up regardless weather smooth or rough, in that way an entrance reducer can be installed which is 3/4" X 3/4" X14 3/4" and has 2 different size openings in it.

On the inner cover the 1/4" side goes down, unless you have something on top of the frames, such as treatment, queen cage, pollen patties etc. Or in the case of an entrance in the inner cover which is on the 1/2" side. When the entrance is in use it goes down.

I am not quite sure what kind of outer cover you have, A migratory cover the lips go down in front and back, and telescoping covers the rim goes down.

My understanding is that the 3/4 side was intended for winter. Install the reducer so that the notch is up. This allows for a layer of dead bees over winter and bottom entrance doen't get blocked. 3/4 side up on the bottom board works well all year. Here's a pic of my winter bottom entrance-3/8 ply wood on top of a 3/8 plywood. 2 x 1/2 entrances on each side.

P1010229.jpg

I ran my inner cover with notch up this year and it worked well. There was no condensation/moisture/mold issues on top side of inner cover. Think it may have kept the interior of the hive warmer. I also have a 3 inch feed rim below the inner cover with a 3/4 round hole.
    Last edited by mgolden; 03-28-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful!

Now I just need to decide/figure out which directions the smooth/rough sides of each level need to face.

>Bottom Board:
    There are two sides. One side is smoother that the other. Does the smooth side or rough side face up? I am assuming smooth so water will run out.

They are reversible. The 3/4" side was intended to go up in winter and the 1/2" side in summer. Most people I know leave it at the 3/4" side all the time.

> Inner Cover:
    > Same questions essentially. Smooth side up or down? 1/2 inch on top or 1/4 inch?

1/4"

> Outer cover:
    > Smooth side facing up or down.

If you have an inner cover, then you most likely have a telescopic cover. Are you asking how to assemble it? It doesn't matter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have it sorted as far as which side is up...I am just not clear on if smooth or rough side of the floor and plywood pieces should face up or down....or if it matters

Quote Originally Posted by kramlegan View Post
    I have it sorted as far as which side is up...I am just not clear on if smooth or rough side of the floor and plywood pieces should face up or down....or if it matters
    Place the side with no knots up on the outer cover. Rot starts readily around knot holes. I use plastic wood that can be purchased at most hardware stores to fill the holes. I then use a Clear Wood Preservative to seal and prevent rot. Paint and stains also work well.

Outer covers are often covered with galvanized metal or aluminum.

P1010226.jpg

The sides, entrance reducer, and landing board have the Clear Wood Preservative applied.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

According to Marla Spivak's research, rough side in will result in more propolis which will result in better health for the bees...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Great! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    According to Marla Spivak's research, rough side in will result in more propolis which will result in better health for the bees...
    That was my theory... Put nice sides out and let the bees fix the rough stuff on the inside.