Default Saw Stop table saw

I had read about Saw Stop saws on Bee Source and now am at the point of ordering one.
    I don't use a table saw very often but others in the family are using them every week. We have a small portable table saw that is basically stored as a back up or for occasional use off site and a large one that is used all the time.

My daughter lost her index finger when her glove got caught clearing a chipper exit and I am terrified of potential table saw accidents.

I am currently looking at the 3 hp professional series with a 52" rip bench.

As I know nothing about saws is there any downside to this make and model for making hive components, ripping 4x8 ply and general woodworking. They also build furniture and cabinets as a hobby. The barn and fencing routinely require repairs.

They also use types of saws...skill, radial arm, scroll but I couldn't see that those, lathes or drill presses came with safety features like the Saw Stop.

Those that use this make of saw are you glad you purchased it?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Default Re: Saw Stop table saw

Luv it! I make a living with my fingers so I absolutely cannot lose them. You need a different brake for the dato blade so that increases cost. The motor is very powerful!

So when you switch to use your dado blades you need to also install a different safety mechanism?..or do you simply purchase a safety mechanism that accommodates a single blade and a dado set?

They did not mention that even though they advised the 3 hp one for use with dado blades.
    Is it a lot of trouble to change over the device if that is what is required?

My daughter that lost her finger is an excellent surgeon..I was very distraught when she had her accident. Fortunately she has adapted well and to my amazement it hasn't affected her surgical abilities. I would not want any others to have to deal with that experience.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

From the SawStop FAQs:

How long does it take to change from a standard brake to a dado brake?
    The brake cartridge is a single unit that requires no tools to insert and remove. It’s easy to change cartridges while you are changing blades, adding virtually no extra time to the task. To see how to change an activated cartridge, Click Here to check out our Video Vault. Select the video named “Replacing Your SawStop Cartridge is Simple.”

http://www.sawstop.com/support/faqs

Even with a large table, ripping a sheet of 4'x8' plywood on a tablesaw is not much fun without a helper. You will likely need close to 10 ft of clear space on each side of the blade. I'd rip the full sheet with a handheld saw and a guide bar clamped to the sheet.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 03-28-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Better yet, wherever you get your plywood can rip it for you and much more accurately. Usually one cut is free most places and it's much easier to handle on the table saw.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Saw Stop makes an excellent saw.
    I sold them for a couple years when they first hit the market, and they've saved countless people some very serious injuries.
    Last I knew, the replacement cartridges cost about a hundred bucks, 120 for the dado specific cartridge.
    Still pricey, but really cheap in comparison to a trip to the ER.
    A couple things to be aware of with the saw stop-
    Cutting wet wood may trigger the safety mechanism.
    If you set it off, it sounds like a gunshot.
    Setting it off also trashes your blade. Every time.
    The best example I know of on why own one of these saws is this- a cabinet company called me around 9am needing a couple new cartridges and blades. Their new saw man already tripped two that morning.
    A couple hours later they show up with a powermatic 66 on the truck, to buy the cartridges and blades, and trade in the 66 for another saw stop.
    Turns out the new guy, after setting off the two they had in the shop, moved to the 66 to keep production up, and lopped off two fingers promptly.
    Yes, off.
    While $4k is a lot of coin for a table saw, it's still a lot less expensive than the loss of your digits.

As for quality of saw, I'd put that up against any top of the line saw 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.
    Put a good quality blade on it, and you're ready to rock.
    Be sure to tune it well, and you'll have glue line quality edges every time.
    What's a glue line edge? That's a perfectly straight edge that's ready for glue when making a panel.
    Any panel that's more that about 6"wide will have a glue line. Look at your kitchen cabinets.
    The saw stop is more saw than most people will ever need, but it's such a pleasure to run, it's well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Luv it! I make a living with my fingers so I absolutely cannot lose them.
    I don't make living with my fingers so I guess I've got spares It is exact same model of SawStop that I've got. My primary criteria of selection was quality of manufacturing and design and safety came as an additional benefit. I bought the smallest size table though because I was planning adding an extra wing with a router table which I did. I used this one I'm extremely happy with this saw.

For a dado blade you have to buy a different cartridge. It is in the order of $100 and the change over is pretty simple. One thing though, you can use only 8" dado blades with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntaz View Post
    A couple things to be aware of with the saw stop - Cutting wet wood may trigger the safety mechanism.
    You can disable safety mechanism for cutting wet wood

Don't wear gloves around rotating machinery. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-52 View Post
    I don't make living with my fingers so I guess I've got spares It is exact same model of SawStop that I've got. My primary criteria of selection was quality of manufacturing and design and safety came as an additional benefit. I bought the smallest size table though because I was planning adding an extra wing with a router table which I did. I used this one I'm extremely happy with this saw.

For a dado blade you have to buy a different cartridge. It is in the order of $100 and the change over is pretty simple. One thing though, you can use only 8" dado blades with it.

You can disable safety mechanism for cutting wet wood
    I think the dado blades a bought a few weeks ago are 10" ...I guess someone will get a bargain on Craigs list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Don't wear gloves around rotating machinery. Ever.
    She learned this lesson too late. She hasn't touched machinery since the accident. They say most accidents are preventable...the accident is not paying attention to the prevention.

I am not a surgeon per se but I do a lot of medical procedures and I need my fingers. My dad was a surgeon and he swore off power tools since he made his living from his hands.

As I mentioned i love the saw. A few times I have disabled the brake to cut damp wood, but I try to avoid at all costs! I have an extra brake but I have yet to set one off.

I advise you use a 7" hand held (skill) saw and a straight edge clamped in place to cut 4'x8' sheets of plywood. Use a plywood blade for thin mat'l and place 4 each 2x4 or 4x4 under the sheet to support both the cut off piece and the work piece. Cutting sheet mat'l on a table saw is just asking for trouble. While stores such as Home Despot offer free cuts on plywood sheets, in my experience, you have to wait an inordinate amount of time to get someone to cut it, and both the workers and the saws tend to be pretty sloppy about making an accurate cut. At least if you mess it up at home, you know it was a DIY flub.

My kids are ingrates. I told them, with a smile on my face and warmth in my heart, that I was purchasing the 3 hp professional sawstop saw on a moveable industrial base along with a doado stop and a spare of each so work needn't be interrupted.

Get this...they said they didn't want it!!!! they said they chose carefully for the table saw they have, that it does hard work and is perfectly aligned for cabinet work. They also have a portable table saw that they rarely pull out. They said the shop is not large enough to warrant 2 large table saws. I couldn't believe my ears but they were very serious. They did say they didn't love their current band saw.

So if they ever leave and take their table saw I will get one for myself

I have the Saw Stop....Love it....and expect it to last for years. Changing the computer module for the dado blade is less of an inconvenience than losing a finger....

IMHO

If you cut a lot of plywood a panel saw is your best friend. Doesn't need to be expensive though. I made one out of a cheap circular saw, 2x4's sheet of plywood, some scrap wood, rope, bricks and angle iron from a bed frame someone threw out. Probably only have $60 in it.

Just got one. Got to put it together. Hopefully my fingers and my children's will be safe and never put it to the test.