Default simple, fun TBH feeder

If anyone is looking for other TBH feeder ideas, I came up with this. The jar is held in place (against my follower board) by two screws and some weed-eater string. I'm a newbee so I hope this will work out.

11.jpg

2.jpg

33.jpg

Default Re: simple, fun TBH feeder

Personally, I would have gone for 550 paracord, but i like the look of this feeder. I'm not a TBH guy, and don;t follow all of the accessories for them very closely, but this is the first time I've seen a feeder set up in this manner. It looks effective to me. Good work.

Are you going to put a hole in it for the bees to access it, or are you going to put it inside facing comb? If you are going to put it bee side you could just put a couple small sticks under the lid to allow the bees to access it.

It will be facing the bees. My original plan was to place sticks under the jar but my bottom board was too narrow I thought.

This type feeder ended up being a terrible idea. The package I installed all clustered over the feeder and when they started building comb down from the top bars, it quickly hit the top of the jar and they attached it to the jar. I had to pull the whole thing out and go a different route. Here's a clip of the bees marching back to the entrance from the follower board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo24DLPNWTM

I think the problem was that the feeder was in at the start and the bees made that the location for the cluster. I've put in jars in a new hive, but after they have established the location for the cluster. I would wait a day or so before putting in the sugar.

Normally the cluster will be at the front of the hive near the entrance, but in your case they clustered in the back. Like I said, I assume they did that to be close to the nectar.

What I would recommend in the future with a package is start with a dozen or so bars depending on the size of the hive. Once they get a cluster going and start making comb move the follower back and add the feed.

If you look at Wyatt Mangum's book (I think it was his) he puts the sugar right behind the brood nest. That may be a good idea, but if you miss an inspection and a flow hits you are in for a big mess. Putting it at the back of the hive gives you plenty of time to get it out.

Now you tell me! It was truly a mess. I felt guilty that I had disturb their cluster and break off a new comb. They had worked so hard on building it and even had pollen stuffed in lots of cells. But now I know. I also recently learned the hard way not to swat a bee. She stung my eyelid and I spent all weekend with one eye swollen shut.

LOL!

The "Now you tell me!" part,not the comb mess or the sting.

That is the one
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
    If anyone is looking for other TBH feeder ideas, I came up with this. The jar is held in place (against my follower board) by two screws and some weed-eater string. I'm a newbee so I hope this will work out.

11.jpg

2.jpg

33.jpg
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

WBVC, if you put a hole in the follower this feeder will work. Just put it so the feeder is on the other side (flip it around).

I had a jar feeder in that back of a hive that I put in a week ago, it was three empty bars from the comb. Yesterday I went in to take it out. They had already drawn comb to just about the feeder. This wasn't a package, it was an over wintered nuc that has exploded with bees in the last week.

Fun time of the year is finally here!