Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apivar

Default Re: Apivar

Me neither. Thought about checking each hive and treating the bad ones, but then figured that mites would get around and balance the load throughout anyway. So, they will be treated when honey comes off in about 6 weeks.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I get these Apis mixed up. Apigaurd is the gel, right? Apivar is the strip? Apilife var is a wafer?

I used the strips starting in late March and leaving them in until after apple pollination was over. a little longer than the prescribed time. I haven't check any myself, but an Apiary Inspector checked some and found mites. I forget how many in each sample, but the average was 9. That's more than I have had when I didn't treat in the Spring. what's up w/ that?
    9 mites on a 300 bee count mite shake is the economic threshold for treatment. If that's the average, then you have a few mite farms out there. You're going to want to be prompt with your fall treatment if you plan on waiting until the honey is off.

I agree. Does this data indicate something? Like the treatment wasn't effective? Or they picked up motes some how after the treatment was removed?

It is possible that those hives were not treated, but I don't think so. More likely they were not given the right strip dosage.

The IPM board, plus, I do scratch off some of the drone brood and see if there are any mites in the drone cells. I just don't want to use the same thing continuously and develop resistance to Apivar. I didn't use ANY mite treatment this spring because of finding no mites at that time. The hives have been healthy and producing this summer, but I don't want to wait so late this year to "put them to bed" Being it has been a year since using Apivar only once, could I use Apivar without them getting used to it already, OR would Apiguard do as well to interchange with? THanks

Recommendations I hear are that rotating materials is the best way to avoid resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantvalley View Post
    then you have a few mite farms out there.
    Ah yes Mark, of course. I never thought of it. Your hives are probably bringing back mites from other yards. I use to be plagued with that a few years ago, when my neighbour sold his bees to an inexperienced beekeeper, who believed into this whole "control the mites with breeding" thing. My outer yards were always hammered with mite counts, and high losses, which were brought back into the mix of my operation continually. The problem was I did not understand what was happening...
    His bees died three years in a row, he went bankrupt, and all of a sudden my mite counts straightened out and my treatments worked as planned.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Yeah, I did lease some bees to another beekeeper for pollination. I did wonder what troubles that might bring me. Maybe that's where they came from. Though the strips were still in place during pollination and up until less than a week before the sample was taken.

I aught to do some sampling of my own. I keep telling myself.

It's a good thing your treating

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123