Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Apivar

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Euliss View Post
    I used 2 in my singles last fall and it worked great. Trying to decide what to alternate with when they get back from CA. Any suggestions?
    Like Mark suggested, OA during your broodless period will work. I have not started OA treatments but considering it this spring as I put the bees out.
    and the only reason why I am considering an alternative treatments it to bring in somekind of treatment rotation.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    FRASER VALLEY, BRITISH COLUMBIA
    Posts
    1,347

    Default Re: Apivar

    Ian I would caution you to approach an OA dribble in the spring. This is definitely a task for the boss. Bees coming out of the building are old and tired and OA dribble essentially tires them out. I understand the need to use an alternative treatment but...

    One season in the fall, I had one foreign employee who probably applied more than the recommended dosage ( I can't keep watching them all the time, cause I got work to do) and come next spring the line of pallets he did were pretty much wiped out. So instead of bees on the ground I had inprints on the grass of where the pallets used to be. I cannot be sure but I think he overdosed them. He is no longer with us.

    Jean-Marc

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    hmmmmm.......

    soon as I get a great idea in my head, I hear a story like that which put me back into that "I dont know what to think" area...
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jamestown, North Dakota, USA
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Like Mark suggested, OA during your broodless period will work. I have not started OA treatments but considering it this spring as I put the bees out.
    and the only reason why I am considering an alternative treatments it to bring in somekind of treatment rotation.
    When I get my bees back from CA, they are wall-to-wall brood (6-8 frames of brood out of 9 frames), so OA may not be the best in my situation since it works by contact. I've used apiguard in the spring and it seems to work ok but I'd try MAQS if I could find the 'recipe' for singles versus doubles. I may just cut the recommendation by half and see how it works on a handfull of hives before I treat them all.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    $4.68 per brood chamber
    9.36/colony. To me thts money. Spring+fall= 2 trtments=a whopping $18.72!!

    paint Stick of traz in the entrance keeps mites down for 40 cents/ hive x 3 spring= $1.20. Then a fall oa dribble and good nutriton in the fall seals it up. But of course its no longer appropriate to mention such treatments now adays even thou it has worked well for the last 12 years.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,389

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    9.36/colony. To me thts money. Spring+fall= 2 trtments=a whopping $18.72!!

    paint Stick of traz in the entrance keeps mites down for 40 cents/ hive x 3 spring= $1.20. Then a fall oa dribble and good nutriton in the fall seals it up. But of course its no longer appropriate to mention such treatments now adays even thou it has worked well for the last 12 years.
    Amitraz can be quite toxic. Do you simply dip a paint stuck in Amitraz or dribble on a fixed amount and leave it in the entrance for how long? Mitaban is liquid Amitraz.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    ok, so what are you going to do mark??
    I'm gonna buy and use Apivar strips. Ordering them today.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    9.36/colony. To me thts money. Spring+fall= 2 trtments=a whopping $18.72!!

    paint Stick of traz in the entrance keeps mites down for 40 cents/ hive x 3 spring= $1.20. Then a fall oa dribble and good nutriton in the fall seals it up. But of course its no longer appropriate to mention such treatments now adays even thou it has worked well for the last 12 years.
    I don't use the same treatment material Spring and Fall. That builds mite resistance to the material.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    chilliwack, bc
    Posts
    646

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Ian I would caution you to approach an OA dribble in the spring. This is definitely a task for the boss. Bees coming out of the building are old and tired and OA dribble essentially tires them out. I understand the need to use an alternative treatment but...

    One season in the fall, I had one foreign employee who probably applied more than the recommended dosage ( I can't keep watching them all the time, cause I got work to do) and come next spring the line of pallets he did were pretty much wiped out. So instead of bees on the ground I had inprints on the grass of where the pallets used to be. I cannot be sure but I think he overdosed them. He is no longer with us.

    Jean-Marc
    I believe I remember that time. I was there with you and said employee. I remember later on you told me that you knew the pallets you did, the pallets I did, and the pallets he did. I think he had a lot on his mind that day because I remember you also had that plump young red head out untying and tying up the pallet covers and every time she bent over half her butt was showing.

    That being said, you had shown me the proper way to administer the OA dribble. It's helped keep the mites at bay. I like the apivar though. I think after a treatment with apivar you could almost go through the whole year with out using anything else.

    I wonder though, If I'm treating in late summer early fall with apivar in my double broodnests, is it still advisable to put 2 strips in the top? It doesn't make much sense since the top box is all honey. I would think that 2 strips in the bottom box, where the last of the brood is being reared, would be sufficient rather than 4 strips per double.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    The label says to use 1 strip for 5 frames of brood(FoB) or less, to use 2 strips for 6 to 10 FoB, 3 strips for 11 to 15 FoB, and 4 strips for greater than 16 FoB.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashe, N.C. USA
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Apivar

    I had surgery last early summer, and didn't get to do too much with my hives. I know it was late to be putting Apivar or any kind of treatment on the hives in October but I had a kind friend to come on a warm day and put Apivar on them. In less that the recommended time, the weather turned COLD, and couldn't get into the hives to take out the strips. They were taken off this early spring and not a mite to be found. I have four hives that were treated, and three VSH hives added. Would it be good to rotate treatment with Apiguard or do another this fall with Apivar>Thanks so much!!!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    treat is your threshold is met, but as you say, no mites found in the spring, so Im guessing the levels will be low by fall
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ashe, N.C. USA
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Apivar

    I'm sorry....are you saying, rotate Apivar with Apiguard this fall?????

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    Not a safe assumption to make Ian. Just because one doesn't find any when they check in the Spring, however they check, that doesn't mean there are Zero mites in the hive. Just that they were not detected. Check again the same way and you might find one or two.

    By Fall, three or four months later, those mites have gone through as many brood cycles as the bees have and you can have a level detrimental to the colony's ability to last the Winter.

    So, if you don't treat unless you determine that the mite load warrants it the only way to know whether that level has been met is to check again early enough that a treatment can be applied.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Apivar

    I have been very impressed with Apivar and the colonies I treated last fall still have no mites on them. Just checked today. However, some folks have been trying to convince me to use an Australian medication, and given the cost, it might be worth it.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    How do you check? What method?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not a safe assumption to make Ian. Just because one doesn't find any when they check in the Spring, however they check, that doesn't mean there are Zero mites in the hive.
    I agree. Im assuming the hive is being tested correctly
    I assumed because usually when there is a very low mite pop in the spring, they cnat muster any devastating levels by fall, assuming that the testing method was accurate.

    I use a shaker, and survey many hives. I like this method of testing as it seems to be gather enough information from the hives to form an accurate picture.

    When I usually treat in the spring with Apivar, I usually dont treat the following fall.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    chickenia, what kind of testing are you doing when determining "no mites"?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    28,061

    Default Re: Apivar

    I get these Apis mixed up. Apigaurd is the gel, right? Apivar is the strip? Apilife var is a wafer?

    I used the strips starting in late March and leaving them in until after apple pollination was over. a little longer than the prescribed time. I haven't check any myself, but an Apiary Inspector checked some and found mites. I forget how many in each sample, but the average was 9. That's more than I have had when I didn't treat in the Spring. what's up w/ that?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,478

    Default Re: Apivar

    i dont like the sound of that...
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads