Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apivar

Default Apivar

It looks like buying 10 to 49 Apivar 50 packs a colony treatment would run you $4.68 per brood chamber. Seems a bit pricey, but is it if it works well? Less mess and safer to handle than MAQS. And MAQS aren't all that less in cost per recommended treatment.

What do you commercial guys think? I'm thinking about installing them in colonies in the south in April so I can take them out well before honey supers need to go on in NY.

Maybe this time of year OA dribble is the way to go?
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 03-26-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: Apivar

I used them last year and they worked great. I recommend leaving them in the hives about eight weeks.

I've used Apivar a number of times and have always been satisfied with the performance... I've heard from a number of sources that the full 56 day treatment is important though as it has little to no cell penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Mark, I think you missed the window for this. I'm betting that they are brooding up big time.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Poss bull, poss bull, Dan.

Are they approved for use in SC and NY?

One reason ( out of many ) I switched to single hive body management was to increase the efficacy of the Apivar treatment. I will treat the single hive body with two strips. Cheaper treatment than in doubles and the bees are forced onto the strips.
    Apivar is a good mite treatment.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Mark, you've missed the boat on OA dribble. It does destroy some brood and doesn't do a thing for the mites in the brood ... where many are breeding if you have em. OAV is too time consuming for a commercial guy this time of year as you'd have to do it multiple times to catch the mites as they are emerging with the brood. Apivar is good way to go..... but as you said, costly.
    Last edited by snl; 03-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Allen Dick is just discussing this on his diary at honeybeeworld.com
    It looks like buying 10 to 49 Apivar 50 packs a colony treatment would run you $4.68 per brood chamber. Seems a bit pricey, but is it if it works well? Less mess and safer to handle than MAQS. And MAQS aren't all that less in cost per recommended treatment.

What do you commercial guys think? I'm thinking about installing them in colonies in the south in April so I can take them out well before honey supers need to go on in NY.

And what does he write?

If you applied apivar in September could you consume the honey this spring?

Mike Adams

What honey?

I saved all of my honey last fall for the bees and their is some left...

Mike A

I am going to vaporize OA tommorow. I'll see how it works.

I made 45 splits on march 7th. I put two stips per single deep box. When I did the splits I could see mites, and lots of them on the bees. I checked on march 22nd for my queen take and didn't see any mites. I hope to do a mite test as soon as the weather straightens up.

I was seeing way more mites then I have before on bees and drone brood this spring. im thinking of doin oa dribble on the new splits that I made from a cell and 2-3 frms brood. the new queen will just have started laying and the old brood should be mostly hatched. im mostly worried about hurting the bees that are left that have to live until the new queens brood starts hatching. and I want the temps to not be so hot and things are heating up in tx.

why do you say it is to much work to do a dribble for a commercial. it seems like a commercial is in his hives every week so you just carry the sprayer and give them a dribble every time your in the yard this spring. between checking for queen right, feed and adding supers, it seems like you could easily put a dribble on every hive once a week. but can the bees handle that?

im saving that expensive apivar treatment for august when you really need the silver bullet. it seems like for me if you split them down and requeen with a cell it buys you a good amount of time but if you don't treat when the honey is pulled in early august, you can kiss them good by.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    why do you say it is to much work to do a dribble for a commercial.
    I'm not sure who said it was too much work for a commercial. From everything I've seen, it is the treatment of choice by commercials during periods of broodlessness. Inexpensive, effective and easy to do.

Edit: I see the too much work comment. It was in reference to periods where there is brood and would require multiple treatments.
    Last edited by beemandan; 03-27-2014 at 06:45 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I'm not sure who said it was too much work for a commercial.
    I mentioned that OAV was too time consuming this time of year (due to the need for multiple treatments to treat mites coming out with emerging brood.)
    Dribbling and OAV only kill phoretic mites. Dribbling hurts brood, OAV does not)...but again OAV this time of year would require multiple treatments....too time consuming for a commercial ..
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Too much work for a commercial outfit to do OA vaporization, not dribble. That's what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    One reason ( out of many ) I switched to single hive body management was to increase the efficacy of the Apivar treatment. I will treat the single hive body with two strips. Cheaper treatment than in doubles and the bees are forced onto the strips.
    Apivar is a good mite treatment.
    I used 2 in my singles last fall and it worked great. Trying to decide what to alternate with when they get back from CA. Any suggestions?

ok, so what are you going to do mark??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast